Chapter 38: On The Other Side

I stood before the crystal mare in surprising awe. I don't think I had ever seen something so incredible in my life, and with all that I had seen so far on this planet that was saying something.

The Skhure, as Cyren had called them, were crystalline in nature. Their bodies refracted light, making them nearly invisible when they were standing still. As they moved, the light more commonly reflected, striking waves of spectral color onto the ground.

We had reached the other side of the mountains hours before, but needed to walk a long way further before Cyren felt able to call the Skhure. He said that the proximity to the mountains, knowing that few would dare draw near without assurance that the Igna had fallen, was enough to frighten most beasts. Some predators made their homes closer to the Arba, but little else willingly came near.

Once three of the Skhure had come, Cyren had detailed what we would do. He explained that the Skhure would speed our progress immensely. With them as our mounts, it would only take a few days to reach our destination, whereas it would take a week or more to reach it without them.

The path beginning at the eastern edge of the Arba to Siela Rumai would be a straight one. No more mountainous detours would need to be taken, thankfully.

"What happens if we become preyed upon?" I asked.

"Few things are capable of matching the swiftness of the Skhure. A fully-grown Audra, coupled with bursts of speed from their own power, could come close, but the Skhure run with the wind at their backs," Cyren explained.

"That's convenient," I said, having no other way to respond.

"Convenience is what we need right now. I would not wish to have another event like we had with the Igna occur. The Skhure would be able to sense impending danger and remove us from harm."

"As they should," I agreed with a nod.

Cyren looked to me with a raised eyebrow. "The Skhure are not to be treated as pets, or creatures for you to command. They are wild beasts like any other that treads this planet. To assume you are capable of understanding what they do, or why they truly do anything would be rash," Cyren scolded.

"Harsh. I wasn't trying to say I understood," I said, moderately offended. "I was just saying that any beast should know to run from anything capable of harming them. It's in my own nature to run from something that could bring me harm. When I fight, I am also fighting to remain calm for the entire duration, knowing a mistake could cost me a lot more than I'd like. I just assume the same goes for anything else that lives and breathes, to run when you know for certain you can get away safely."

"Would the same go for all things you do?" Cyren asked.

"I don't understand what you're asking," I replied, looking to Aura for help.

Aura shrugged. Her brother was quiet, but very capable of going on tangents when he felt the time was appropriate. I didn't understand why now had to be one of those times.

"In all situations, do you feel it better to run and hide, rather then stand and fight?"

"Are you asking if I'm a coward?"

"Not at all. I have seen you fight when time required."

"So, then what are you asking?" I repeated.

"Are you capable of understanding when a fight should be fought, and when a fight should be left alone?" Cyren finally asked. "That is truly what is important; to know that you can understand when you should flee, and when you should fight. Not all battles are fought toe-to-toe, many are fought in your own mind as you war with yourself over your next course of action."

"Of course I'm capable of that," I said proudly.

"Good," Cyren responded, adeptly climbing onto his mount and abruptly ending the conversation.

I leapt lightly onto my own, feeling as if the conversation wasn't quite as done as Cyren made it seem. Aura climbed onto her Skhure and urged it forward, already knowing which direction they needed to travel. The two other mounts followed without prompt, following the leader closely.

For at least an hour we traveled without conversation. I spent my time observing the differences that this side of the mountains had from the other. The leaves of the trees were a soft green, strikingly different than the other side of the Arba; but, the trees were no less tall, nor bulky. The plants on the ground no longer appeared as if they would slice me in half if I walked through them. They were a similar shade of green to the leaves of the trees, if not a little darker. The fronds were more delicate, seeming as if they would snap off if a little too much force was applied.

The ground was more full of color: different variants of flowers, bushes and all manner of flora. The sounds of life could be heard in greater numbers, chirping echoed through the trees, as did a series of low growls and lighting padding feet. Creatures paced and watching within the trees, others hunted, while others still rested in wait for the night.

The wind blew lightly. I was unsure if the breeze was caused by Nadari, who had nestled herself perfectly between the two crystalline ears of the Skhure, or if it was from the current of the air itself doing as nature intended. Lush scents were carried along with the wind. Some were sweet, some more bold and undesirable, but most were at least manageable.

More light flooded in from the canopy above, showering the ground in thick, warm rays. The canopy didn't cover as much space as the other had. Where the largest gaps in the ceiling were, more beautiful plants grew, as if to claim rights to the land.

"We are no more than a day's ride," Aura intoned, raising her voice so Cyren and I could hear better. "A day and a half if weather does not permit as we would hope."

"That's good to hear," I said. "Is now a good time to discuss what we do when we get there?"

"It may still be too much unnecessary information to speak of beforehand," Cyren said.

"Are you nervous someone may hear?" I asked.

"Even if one were in earshot to hear, they would learn no more information than they would already be aware of. The construct slumbers, there is little more to know. Waking it will be an ordeal, but I am confident that, with your help, we will achieve our goal."

"Fair enough, I will wait till we get there then. I've waited this long."

"Are you prepared for what must unfold when we reach our home?" Aura asked.

"I think so," I replied.

"It will continue to be a long and arduous road ahead of us. Little rest will be had after this day is through."

"I am prepared," I said confidently. "But those words are easy to say now, before I fully understand what's at stake."

"A realm full of people who are enslaved to the will of a Tyrant," Aura explained. "That is what is at stake."

"I know," I spoke solemnly. "And I will do what I can to help you free them."

"And we appreciate all you have done and will do," Cyren said approvingly.

"I said I would help you, and I don't turn back on my promises. Until the end," I said matter-of-factly.

"Until the end," Aura repeated in a soft whisper.

It had touched my ears, and mine alone.