Chapter 37: The Fallen Lord

The hallway came to an abrupt end at a large, solid wooded door. The black wood melded lightly into the wall. To a grazing eye it would appear as if it was a solid wall, but a little focus forced the illusion to give way.

Vissis forced the door open, breaking the lock in two. She stepped into the room as an electric wave of crimson rippled upwards through the spiral stair. Aeron looked up, seeing archers stepped just out of view through the stairs themselves. They were outlined in a crimson color that speckled around them. Their true bodies could not be seen through the stone steps, but, looking down at his own hands, Aeron knew the men above could not see he and Vissis below.

The stairwell spiraled around the stone tower, but it had no center block. A hollow space opened up the entire middle of the tower. Speckled throughout the tower were landings that, no doubt, were connected to similar locked doors that led into other portions of the large castle.

Davora's castle was the third largest in D'karia. The forest city of Emry took second. It had a series of grand, hollowed-out trees that had become towers. The towers were connected by a series of robust branches that acted as bridges. With its many towers, the castle at Emry had become known as the Cathedral. Though it was not like the Or'na, nor was it any means a place of worship, it was no less ornate than the old structures once were. First, of course, was the grand estate within Corusca. The castle was built upon a flattened hill that rose into the air. From a distance, the castle's many towers and peaks could be seen rising above the city wall.

Though the castle of Davora was large, many of the halls connected and led to a central location. It would be no less difficult to lose ones way, but it would at least be comforting to know that, eventually, a familiar place would be reached.

Aeron heard the twang of a bow loosing an arrow above. Aeron caught sight of it just as it dissipated into dust. It had traveled barely a foot beyond the bow before it was no more. Vissis and the archer met eyes before a whip materialized in Vissis' left hand and rocketed upwards, pulling the archer from the ledge and sending him careening downwards.

The archer dropped unconscious at the whips touch, but slowed to a steady halt before he hit the floor. He was splayed in a very uncomfortable position, but was majorly left unharmed.

Three more outlines of archers could be seen above, but only one was close enough to the edge to be truly seen. Vissis kicked upwards, alighting on one section of the stair to leap to another, then another. She spiraled upwards, whips in both hands arcing along the stairs and rending the archers unconscious like their predecessor.

Vissis stopped at the top and waited patiently for Aeron to ascend before they moved forward. They entered into an open hallway at the top of the stairs that led directly to another closed door. This door was lighter in color and did not appear to have a lock like the others.

They stepped up to the door and Vissis immediately spread her arms from her center across her body.

"What was that for?" Aeron asked quizzically.

"You shall see."

Vissis opened the door inward and stepped in as she had done at the base of the stairs. Aeron followed her in. On either side of the room, cramped together between each other and large bookcases, were nearly thirty archers a side. Each of them lay heaped in a pile on top of each other with no weapons in sight.

"Ah," Aeron said, understanding.

Vissis gave a curt nod that Aeron barely saw.

Kresha sat facing a large, circular, multi-paned window, staring out at the city below. Behind him was a large desk filled with stacked and unorganized papers. The bookshelves surrounded the room starting at either side of large window, and each was packed full of books.

Kresha slowly turned from the window to face Aeron and Vissis.

"I have watched my city slip through my fingers more quickly than I expected. I planned this day carefully; the guard patrolling the walls, spies in the streets. I saw your movements from exiting the Or'na until the outer city fell."

"Then why did you stand and do nothing?" Aeron asked.

"Why delay the inevitable? Had I sent my guard to counter you, more death would have been caused. We may have been able to eliminate those who traveled without the Kunga, but any I sent after a Golden Maiden would have fallen within moments. To stand against such a power with so little at my disposal would be unthinkable. In turn, the city is yours," Kresha explained.

"If you so willingly gave up the city, knowing full well that casualties are a piece in war, then why go to such effort through such effort to side with a usurper?" Vissis asked.

"For the same reason any others did: power. She offered us power on a grand scale, a right to rule. When offered strength, when the alternative is death, would you refuse?" Kresha asked.

"I would," Vissis replied.

"Not all are gifted with power beyond reckoning. For you to deny would be a simple matter. For one like me to make the same choice? I would meet my end moments later."

"I would have refused," Aeron intoned.

"Your refusal would have been unnecessary. You possess the true right to the kingdom. Why would you need to deny that which you hold claim?"

"Because of the means at which it would be offered. You think I would take the throne before either of my siblings? Those who held claim before I?"

"Under different circumstances? Were they alive? Only if you were the wiser, and I would follow you still."

"Is that your claim to follow me now?" Aeron asked.

"I believe my choices up until this point make that question moot. I am no longer worthy to hold a high office," Kresha admitted humbly. "I am aware that my choices have been rash. I would be a fool were I to say I did not see this coming. I made my choice before the Kunga abandoned Corusca, when she claimed the five stood by her. I should have known better. One so fair as you would never stand by one so dissolute."

"You see the better now, Kresha," Vissis said.

"But my words now do not make up for the choices I have made prior. Spare me at your leisure, or do as you see fit; but, I will not remain K'itai no matter your choice."

"He sees his error, young Prince," Vissis said, choosing to speak within hearing of Kresha. "It is a far better response than I believe we will achieve from any of the other K'itai, whether fallen lord or otherwise. I would advise leniency here."

"How do I know he is not lying to us to get his way?" Aeron asked.

Vissis turned her gaze to Kresha. "Had he been lying; do you truly believe it would have slipped my sight?"

"True enough," Aeron agreed. He strode up to Kresha and offered him his hand. "I offer you pardon. However, though you already will not allow yourself to remain K'itai, I too find it unwise to leave you in your office. We will leave another in your stead, but would you be willing to stay here as an advisor? I know how much you have loved this city, and I would not take you from it."

"Gladly," Kresha said. "I will stay and advise as you command. My guard will remain faithful to me. I will have my spies route out those who do not stand with you and I will have them locked in irons. You will not regret your choice, my King. I am with you until the end."