Chapter Two [B]

First Edit: 17/08/2017

This is the second part (B) of Chapter 2 after editing.

* * *  

[Ddwy]  

Side by side, Nixie and Oldaff rode in a comfortable silence into the forest. The thick cover of trees provided shade from the blazing midday sun. The tranquil nature scenes combined with its fresh, intoxicating smell - a mixture of damp soul and sweet notes from the blooming flowers, made Nixie relax in her saddle.

They trotted down a worn out trade route towards their destination.

"Where are we headed to, cousin?" Oldaff asked as they furthered into the woods.

Nixie was preoccupied with the stallion she sat on. She brushed her hands over the equine's thick, black mane. Her mind wandered to the stallions previous owner. What a peculiar history he has! A stallion, large and sturdy as he is bred, found in the woods on its own. She could not help but wonder if he had a name and if so, did it match the stamina and strength of his being? He was certainly kept in the bests of conditions if she judged it by the muscle tone and shine on his onyx body. Perhaps this stallion was ridden by a warrior or a knight from another kingdom? Not that she ever beheld such type of horse before.

She shook her head in thought and decided at once - it did not matter. She was his new owner, she purchased him rightfully so and hence, the beautiful beast required a new name.

Oldaff cleared his throat, snapping Nixie from her thoughts.

"Guhud Wilds," she answered, her mind still drifting towards a suitable name for the stallion, "I think, I shall call you Slate!"

Oldaff rolled his eyes, "How fitting."

Nixie ignored Oldaff's sarcasm and patted the horse. The horse neighed as if he understood what she said, nudging his head against her hand. She giggled like a young girl and continued to pat him, "You like that huh? Slate it is!" Nixie turned to Oldaff, "What will you call yours?"

She watched as he tapped his chin before he shot upright.

"Thunderflame!" he announced with broad shoulders.

Nixie looked up at the trees and grunted, "You are calling a mare after the most obnoxious villain in history?"

"Yes, the name will make people back away from us!"

Nixie shook her head at her cousin's rationality, "We should get going. It is past midday." She put her heels into Slate's side and clicked her tongue. The onyx stallion neighed as he transitioned into an effortless gallop. Behind her, she heard the accompanying hooves of Oldaff's horse as he caught up to her. When their horses levelled, they transitioned into a fast canter and raced through the woods.

It did not take very long for Oldaff to open his mouth again. "Why are we still going to Guhud Wilds? I thought we're going to the Nelon Empire."

"We are, but in order to get there, we need a halfling escort and what better place to find one than in Guhud Wilds?" she smiled deviously.

"You are too clever for your own good!" Oldaff stated, "Just like the time you managed to hire those servant children to sleep in our beds when you wanted to sneak out at night!" he exclaimed and Nixie could not help but laugh at the memory, "Do you remember that?"

The easy conversation between them made their journey less tiresome and by the time they reached the border of Guhud Wilds, the afternoon had begun to sink into a late afternoon slur.