Chapter Twenty-Two

[Dau ddeg dau]

"Me lady, I didn't think ya were that hungry!" Claus exclaimed with widened eyes.

After her blackout, the pub-owner took her to his chambers and opted for a rugged couch for Nixie to enjoy the facility of his soft bed. In all aspects, she was thoroughly impressed with the man's integrity. He proved to be a gentlemen.

Nixie was currently inspecting a slaughtered deer he had caught in the moon's foretime. The animal hanged from a chain a few feet into the forest where Claus kept all his catches. She chuckled, "This is not for me Claus, the pie you served this morning was quite enough."

"Why do ya need so much meat then, me lady?" he frowned.

She gave him a devious smile, "I have a rather large friend that is in need of a proper meal."

Claus folded his arms, "Is this friend of ya even human? Let me say, not even I can eat that much," he rubbed his bulging belly, "and I 'ave quite the appetite!" he grinned.

The mood dampened as she looked to him and spoke in an authoritative voice, "Claus, I need someone reliable on my side. A loyal man; whom I can call a friend from this day forward. Dare I ask if I can trust you as such?"

The man cleared his throat and broadened his shoulders, "I 'ave proven I can keep me mouth shut when needs be," he convinced her, "I will do it again if it's the case. I be someone ya can call on when ya pass through here, me lady. Ya have my word." .

There was no question that Claus was honorable, but disclosing the existence of a beast he has never seen before is another thing. She would not have involved him, but in her state it would be impossible to drag a 100 pound deer across the forest for a hidden dragon.

She needed help.

She exhaled, "What you are about to encounter will shock you. Your silence is of the utmost importance Claus."

"Aye, I will keep me word, but what do ya need me to do me lady?" He looked around the terrain in confusion.

"My friend cannot come out of hiding, therefore, I need to bring this to him," she pointed to the hanging deer. She wondered whether her answer was sufficient, but felt the need to disclose something amassed, "Mortals would be terrified to see him. They are not accustomed to it."

Claus scratched his head and scrunched his nose, "Me lady, this friend of ya, he sounds terrifying," he rolled the word and continued with a higher pitch than usual, "I'm not gonna die, am I?"

She placed her hand on his shoulder, "I assure you, no harm will come to you. You gave me your word and I give you mine. Trust me," she eyed him.

He nodded.

"Good," she smiled and reached for the animal, "best get started then."

"No, no!" Claus dragged her hands away and unhooked the deer himself,, "If there's one thing me momma taught me, is that an expectant lass shouldn't do hard labour."

With a big oomph, the heavy weight was thrown over his back, "I be doing the carrying. You be showing the way, me lady."

She gave him an indebted smile, "Very well," and started their walk.

When they reached the hill behind the town, Claus huffed and let the deer down to rest against the tree. He swiped the sweat from his unkempt forehead and heaved.

Nixie stopped her trek and wandered around the trees, picking at leaves and twigs as she waited for her trustee to regain his breath.

Claus scarfed down the tree trunk and inhaled a loud breath of air, "Me lady?" he asked.