Chapter Fifteen

[Bymtheg]

"Thank you, Your Eminence!" a clarion voice bubbled in contentment with little arms wrapped around Nixie in a cocoon.

Nixie chuckled and let the scant girl sit back on her bed. She bent down on her knees and addressed the infant, "If you can tell me the names of all the kings and queens of the kingdoms, you can call me Nixie!"

The adolescent's innocent face lit up at the proposition, she looked to the side where the caretaker of the orphanage stood. The old woman nodded her head in permission as a blush crept over her face.

The lass put out her first little finger, "King Bacchus and Queen Gredula of Saxihn," she frowned and awaited Nixie's nod before continuing on her third and fourth fingers, "King Magnus and Queen Jules of Moihr!"

Nixie beamed at her, "That's correct, go on."

Her nose scrunched up as she tried to remember the rest. Her head tilted, "King Red and Queen Red of the Red Kingdom!"

She blushed as the onlookers started laughing at the little girl's answer.

Warm hands swooped around Nixie's waist, the warm breath of her husband travelled past her neck as he hurdled next to her, looking at the girl, "Why don't we help her remember, un hardd?"

Nixie nodded at him.

"Sir- Irgis, I mean, Your Greatness!" the girl stuttered with eyes widened at the Emperor and Empress kneeling down before her bed.

Irgis smirked, "Can you remember the name of the Red Kingdom, it starts with B," he hinted.

"Blorg!" she blurted out.

"That's good," he patted her hand, "Now the second last letter of Blorg is the same letter the king's name starts with."

The girl frowned again as she visibly thought of names.

Nixie started, "Ra-"

She got cut off, "Ramos! King Ramos!" she clapped her hands together and squinted her eyes, "and Queen Sadi?" she guessed.

"That's right!" Nixie chirped and brought the girl in for another hug.

The luring pain in Nixie's abdomen must have lingered in her mind a moment too long. Irgis had already set the girl back on the bed and helped his wife to stand up. She knew he was eager to get her back to the safety of Vlith.

"Can I call you Nixie now?" the suckling asked in guiltlessness.

Nixie winked, "Of course you can."

"Thank you Nixie!"

Everyone within a close proximity clapped their hands as Irgis and Nixie turned around. They were visiting the third orphanage for the month. Nixie followed Jules' advice and insisted that she visit the people in their neighbourhoods. Their plan worked perfectly. The people came to love both the Empress and Emperor, even though Irgis felt uneasy most of the time his wife was out in the public eye.

Not only did Nixie grow to love all of the dragonkin, she also forgot at times that her visits had anything to do with Gredula. She genuinely enjoyed helping out those in need.

Flames of red and orange observed their every move when they walked out the orphanage. The people cheered and shouted their names in unison as they made their way to the carriage.

"Baccata, what are you doing here?" Irgis asked in a heightened tone when they seated themselves inside. The man sat in the corner of the carriage. Nixie could tell by the strained look on his face he waited for them in dithers.