XVII

"Reelect Mayor Forbes for a brighter future."

"Smile more."

"If I smile anymore I won't be able to speak."

"You don't look happy!" Osha-- the director of the campaign commercial I was currently filming-- rolled her eyes. "The viewers won't want to vote for Forbes if you don't look like you want to. At the moment, you look like you were forced into making this commercial."

"I kind of was," I muttered, pulling at the fake eyelashes stuck to my eyelids.

"Again." She demanded, marching back to her silly director chair.

I forced a smile onto my face as white lights flashed in my eyes. I couldn't even see the camera they were so bright. I just kind of squinted in the direction of where it was supposed to be and went from there.

"Reelect Mayor Forbes-"

"Ok, cut," The lights flashed out and I rubbed my eyes as Osha stalked to the center of the stage in her overdramatic manner. "I can't do this. Not with her. Take five everyone."

I stepped off the small stage and shuffled over to the food table, shoving a donut into my mouth.

My phone started to ring in my pocket. To my gleeful surprise, the caller ID read Aubrey. "Please help me. I'm only here for the donuts."

"The commercial filming isn't going well?" She asked.

"No." I whined, looking scornfully in Osha's direction. "I really wish Forbes didn't ask me to do this. I mean, I know he said a fresh, young face would look better but I'm a nobody."

"You're a sexy nobody." Unfortunately, it wasn't Aubrey's voice that replied.

I gripped the phone tightly against my face. "I'll call you back." I hung up and whipped around to come face to face with my second least favorite person next to Hypothermia. "Why are you here, Owen?"

He smirked. "Don't act so unhappy to see me," He reached past me and took a donut, never breaking eye contact. "You know you missed me." He took a bite, wiggling his eyebrows as he pulverized the pastry in a plume of sugar.

"Why are you here?" I repeated. There was no reason for him to be at the filming of a political ad.

"Well," He swallowed. "With Hypothermia and everything, I'm here to protect the mayor's campaign employees from any unprecedented attacks."

"Assuming that the majority of the town is thinking that Forbes is Hypothermia, you won't be protecting much."

He cocked an eyebrow. "So you're part of this majority, Ms. Sharpe? You, the person that is currently filming a campaign commercial for him?"

I rolled my eyes. "No. I have no idea who it is and I'm not blaming anyone, but I am considering that it could be anyone, including Forbes."

"Including me," He added, taking another bite of donut and taking his precious time to chew and swallow it before continuing. "For all you know, I could be Hypothermia." His eyebrows jumped up on his forehead just to fall down again, a cocky smirk rolling onto his chiseled chin.

I crossed my arms. "Yes, and you could also be Sonic Boom, or Doctor Laser, or any other vigilante in this town. So I'll have my eyes on you, Mr. Jacobs, not the other way around."

"Well, Ms. Sharpe, for all I know you could be Firestorm, or Poison Rose, or Voltage so," He tapped my nose with his finger like I was a child, that smirk ever present on his face. "I believe that we will both be looking out for each other." He said with a wink.