XXVII

"Meeting at noon, lunch with preservation board head at one, and a call on line three."

"Thank you, Ms. Quint." I said in an authoritative voice as my secretary nodded in reply, turning out of my office.

I propped my feet up on my desk and bit my lip, admiring the spacious room around me.

My spacious room.

The light on my phone started blinking and I picked it up, hitting the line three button. "Madisyn Sharpe."

"Hello, Madisyn, this is Gigi Bellamy, your neighbor." This is certainly not a phone call I was expecting.

I took my feet off my desk, leaning back in my chair. "How can I help you Gigi?"

"Are you aware of how corrupt city hall is? The Birds of Equality Society has decided that you could be the one to straighten out city hall and would like and help distribute the power back to the citizens again. You could be our foundation's eyes and ears, our voice of reason for peaceful solutions-"

"Gigi, our government is not socialist. The power rests in the government which has the sole interest of its people in mind with every decision they make. I thank you for your concern and request for my involvement, but I believe that this city's government is working its very hardest give its best to everyone." I clicked the phone back into the housing without another word.

My office door opened again and I picked up the phone, pressing it to my ear. "What is it, Alicia? I'm a little busy."

"So sorry, Ms. Sharpe," She whispered. "Aubrey Britton is here to see you."

I covered the mouthpiece of the phone with my hand, the long monotone beep buzzing in my ear. "Bring her in."

She nodded and opened the door wider for Aubrey to come in, closing it behind her. I hung up the phone and smiled at her as she took a seat across from me.

"How can I help you, Ms. Britton?" I said authoritatively, folding my hands.

"Well, councilwoman Sharpe," She started with a grin. "I think that salary tax should be lowered for spin instructors."

"I'll get right on that."

We both started laughing hysterically at how stupid we sounded trying to be serious.

"So how is life all high up in the ranks at city hall?" She asked, leaning back and putting her feet on my desk.

"Look at this chair, Aubrey," I stood up and motioned for her to sit in it. "It has a built in back massager."

She sat back in it and found the little remote that controlled the massage and let out a sigh as it began to work its magic.

"This shit is expensive, and I didn't have to pay a dime."

She high fived me and enjoyed her massage. "I wish I was on the council."

"Ugh," I sat on my desk. "Well it's not always sunshine and rainbows. I barely get any time in my massage chair because of meetings that I just sit in and do nothing, but it's worth it. People look at me differently now. I'm not coffee girl, I'm councilwoman Sharpe."

"The hierarchy in this city needs to stop," She grumbled, rubbing her eyes.

"Maybe that's why everyone is putting on a mask and blowing things up." I grumbled. "Anyway, remember that meeting thing I was talking about? I have one in thirty seconds so I have to get going but feel free to stay as long as you want."

"Oh believe me, I'm not leaving this chair for a while." She winked at me and leaned back in it.

I ran to the meeting in the main conference room, settling down in my chair just as the mayor addressed everyone.