As They Are Now

A few days had passed since Dr. Jenson's visit.

A few days had passed since Justin last truly thought and worried.

These days have been spent on something so priceless and daring that Justin regretted not a moment of it.

He watched Julian run along the grass and the breeze sweep his air.

As long as Julian took his medicine, the cardiac asthma should hold off. Which gave Justin enough relief to bring Julian outside and run again, to jump and live.

Fairly close to the CHOC hospital and the portable at which Julian slept, just some streets down and over to the outskirts of the main centers, was a grand field, to which Justin always drove Julian to, past the smog of the streets. And as you drove further from the hospital and the buzz, you could feel thick air be lifted higher and higher until it effected you no longer.

It was of fresh air and plain grass. 

Justin wasn't sure how he had found this clean, heavenly slate in the middle of the bustling city where nothing seemed so light as the sun-rays on the particular land.

The field lay in a slightly gated scene that was to start construction around the time for Julian's surgery, some days earlier.

But it hadn't started yet and being Justin Bieber has its deals because the construction manager had let him in welcomingly as Justin made a generous "donation" right on the spot to the project. It was to be made into a parking structure, all the grass mowed and gone, all the magic faded and slopped over.

Justin held Julian's hand tight as they swung their arms, walking on the grass.

"We did soccer yesterday and what are we going to do today?" Julian asked excitedly. He looked up at Justin's sun-glasses-covered eyes. Justin always wore big hoodies and sunglasses outside. Julian thought it looked weird but as long as Justin was here with him, he could be wearing a pink onesie for all Julian cared. He just wanted Justin with him, because Justin made everything better.

"Frisbee! You'll love it, kid!" Justin grinned. He produced a Frisbee from his other hand and let go of Julian.

He backed up and bit and curled his arm, ready to throw.

Julian smiled and squat a bit, ready.

Justin felt himself swell with pride. His Julian. His little athletic star. 

He had spent more than a week with little Julian now. And he desperately needed more. He needed a lifetime with Julian.

The Frisbee flew and Julian ran up, reaching for it. He stretched and stretched. The Frisbee grazed the top of his fingers and fell not too far behind him.

"Not bad, Julian," Justin said encouragingly, "Now try to throw it back, kiddo."

Julian curled his arm like Justin and threw.

The Frisbee came to Justin's stomach and he bent down to catch it.

"I'm short," Julian sighed. He really was. He was the tiniest kid at school. All the teachers called him a "cutie". Which was nice, but didn't make Julian feel very big boy or manly.

"You'll grow," Justin smiled. But as soon as he said it, be felt his heart drop. No. Julian might never grow. He might have to stay this height until he dies. Even if Justin donated all the blood, there was no guarantee of the boy's life would be completely safe-

"How tall?" Julian asked, "in inches or centimeters?"

Justin laughed. How tall was he again? Justin answered, "You'll be 5'9 maybe. Taller maybe."