For His Boy

Having underestimated the extent of the vicious attacks, Ariana immediately shot into the other side- keeping Julian under very close watch at the hospital. He wasn't in a bed, he was just set up in this little room that looked almost like a normal child room. It used to be the waiting room for pediatrics but since it was a portable, outside the normal building and main pediatrics had transferred to the opposite side of the structure, Justin was able to rent out the sub-building as a special care center for Julian.

Ariana rubbed Justin's back.

"Justin," she whispered, "we can't stay here all night. We still have so much paper work to fill out. It'll help Julian more if we're not here." It broke her heart to say that, but it was true.

Justin looked up at her with watery eyes. "Ari," he said, "he just turned five for God's sake. He's got so many toys he hasn't played with yet. So many songs he hasn't seen yet. That play at school he told me about on the ride here. Julian. He's got so many dreams left to dream."

Ariana wanted to cry now too, but she smiled, "He can. He will. I know it. We just have to work hard. This is a rough patch, but he'll be okay."

Justin leaned forward and kissed Julian on the forehead, scooting the new inhaler on the nightstand closer to the bed. The little boy was still snoring softly.

Justin got up and picked up the hospital phone, calling in the night nurses and security.

He grabbed his jacket only when the two nurses had arrived. Justin left, closing the door softly, holding Ariana's hand. No. They would get through this.

~

 Darren bit his lip. His father had been really off today.

His dad hadn't tried to lecture him at all today. Or blabbed on about his day or something he saw on the news. No. It was awfully quiet.

"Hey doc," Darren said, "What's up?"

Dr. Jenson smiled for a fraction of a second before becoming somber again. "I should've warned Justin and Ariana. This is my fault," he sighed.

"What happened?" Darren asked, worried too, hoping Julian was okay.

"Their poor kid got a violent asthma attack. One I should've been able to predict. I didn't even tell them under how strict of a watch he should be. I've been so fazed out of work lately. He could've died! Thank God he didn't. I'm in no shape to advise people!"

"Dad..." Darren mumbled, watching his male-figure for so many years break down, "the thing about Mom. I thought about it and the thing with Julian. I'm happy for Mom because she got to live a full life. I think that's why she's so at peace. She knows we'll be okay. And if I had to choose, I'd save Julian, because- he's a kid and kids are twerps and whatever and I barely know him, but he's got this thing about him, where you know he's got more. He's got more than what you just see. He's got a bright future."

His father looked like he was zoning out with grief. Darren was a bit frustrated that he was finally opening up to nothing.

"Dad," he said more forcefully, "take a break. Get your mind off of it. I think we should donate Mom when she passes. Her organs and her blood are really important. She's an AB+, Dad! You're a fucking doctor! You know how rare that blood is!"

"Shut it!" Dr. Jenson yelled, "Could you have some respect for your mom? I shouldn't have even been seeing patients, I can't stop thinking about her! And look at how quickly you forget!"

"This is what she would've wanted!" Darren yelled, "Before the crash- before the change! This crazy person- it's not her anymore!"

"Shut up!" his father yelled, "Go to your room and don't come back down unless you know you won't see me because I do not want to listen to you talk about your mother this way!"