Unfamiliar

The day before Julian's operation.

It pressed the air to Justin's shoulders like the heaviest burden he has ever carried.

The weight suffocated his chest.

He hadn't even told Julian he was his father yet.

Ah, the irony.

He was a grown man, yet he was the one afraid. Afraid of Julian's death, afraid of Julian never knowing his father.

By god, this was a tragedy.

Ariana sits at Julian's bedside, stroking his cheek.

The special blood that Julian needs needs to be specially tested for and is extremely rare. What a poor boy who is allergic to nearly everything.

But of course, this too should be blamed on Justin.

Julian had been born so prematurely from a petite woman at such a young age.

He hadn't gotten the best care he could've.

This was all Justin's fault.

And now he would have to pay the price.

This price doesn't seem so big financially- but it really is emotionally.

Not knowing whether your son will live or not or whether your son will even know he is your son is so destroying.

Justin swore that he was losing hair. It was insane.

So there they were.

And Justin had promised Ariana, and himself, that this was going to happen today.

He was going to tell Julian the truth.

Ariana and Julian's melodic chatter was just noise in Justin's mind as he thought. But it was pleasant noise.

Like- piano- for his thinking music.

Thinking about how he was going to break this to Julian.

Julian Grande, I know you've thought your whole life you've never had a father but-

No, too formal.

Bruh, I'm your dad though.

Nope, too casual.

Julian, there's something really important I have to tell you, buddy.

That's a little better.

He took a few steps towards Ariana and Julian and as he did, their conversation came clear.

"What do you want for dinner tonight, honey?"

"We just had breakfast, mom. How silly for you to ask." Julian adjusted his gown. He doesn't like the gown, Justin knows, but Julian has to wear it. How demeaned this little boy has become. A little ghost in a gown. Like the rest of the poor children in hospitals everywhere.

"I know, but I'm just asking, sweetie. Do you want brownies for dessert? The really nice kind- like- the gooey ones?" Ariana was smiling very sweetly, but Justin's heart broke because he could feel the anxiousness under her voice.