Never Again

"Baby, don't drink too much," Ariana giggled as Julian held the plastic cup close to his mouth, "it takes better in solid- erm... almost-solid-jell-o form anyways." 

She really didn't get why her 5 year old son felt the need to drink the liquified jell-o substance.

"I'm not a dum-dum, Mommy," Julian smiled, tilting his head, "on the contrary..." 

Ariana laughed because he had pronounced it in a funny way by stressing the wrong syllable. She loved her smart-alecky kid. 

Before Julian could combat her with a smart-alecky line, the doorbell rang.

Ariana was confused, "Julian, hon, are you sure you gave all the right times? It's only 3... should be an hour before-"

"Mom," Julian whined, "I'm mature.

Ariana smiled, because he had pronounced it "moo-ture". 

She got up from the kitchen table chair and went to get the door.

As she was about to lay her hand on the knob, a knock sounded.

"Sheesh," she frowned as she twisted it.

The opened door came to reveal a petite Ariana and Justin grinned, "Just as impatient as you used to be, huh?"

Her surprise was eminent, but he felt he was even more shocked. 

He'd seen her like this already once, at Cakes and Candles, but seeing her up close, this intimate moment here, he let more of it soak in.

Her hair was just in a simple ponytail and her face was natural, with barely any make-up, just some eye-stuff.

She looked way too young to be a mother, way too young to have so much stress.

Ariana was speechless.

"Justin!" Julian shouted and ran over. He hugged Justin and led him in, giving Ariana a disapproving look, scolding eyes that seemed to say, "He is a guest! Be courteous!"

Ariana shook her head, with a little disbelief, and shut the door.

Meanwhile, Julian led Justin over to a chair and sat him down.

As Julian smiled at Justin, he took a moment to take a glance at the apartment.

There were barely any pictures and there were some boxes... had they just moved here? 

This place was small and cramped! Wall paint was peeling and the kitchen looked a bit yellow. Ariana and her beautiful child shouldn't be living here!

"Hey," Julian waved, interrupting Justin's thoughts, "why do you have a cake?"

Ariana glanced over and let out a sigh. Justin was a life-saver. A wonderful man. He would've made a great father... no... she did the right thing. She didn't tell him and that was right.

They both weren't ready, but who was she to ruin his future?

Justin looked over his shoulder and smirked, "Thank me later."

Ariana felt her heart flutter when she saw that gleam in his eye again.

She had a wide grin as she gratefully took the purple cake from Justin's hands.

Oh God, Justin thought, I've missed that dimple on her cheek.

"So," Julian smiled, inducing Justin to face him, "I heard you say Mommy was 'impatient'."

"Yes," Justin smirked, "your Mom is most stubborn girl I've ever encountered." 

Ariana laughed as she set the cake on the table, "Funny, 'cause I remember it vice-versa."

Justin frowned, "All these big words..."

"Don't worry, my kid's a prodigy," Ariana bragged playfully.

Justin grinned and lifted his right eyebrow, "Really?"

"As real as 3 times 8 equals 24," Julian smirked.

"Well, boys," Ariana sighed, "it's great you guys are having a nice conversation, but there's a party to prepare!" 

Justin looked up at Ariana's face, which had an adorable joker's smile.  

"And prepare we shall," Justin grinned and stood up.

"M'lady," Julian stood up as well and bowed.

~

Ariana felt on the brink of tears. She had never thought she'd see this. Justin and Julian interacting. 

She thought that after that July party, everything was going to be over and that she'd never see Justin again. She thought Justin would never meet Julian.

But clearly, in this world, things don't happen exactly the way you planned. 

She's accepted that since that July night with Justin.

Justin stretched to hang up a banner as Julian held the stool for him. 

Ariana blew into the balloon as hard as she could and tied it. 

"I like the song..." Justin smiled as he stuck the last pin in, "You might say that I'm 'loving it'." 

Ariana chuckled at his pun. Her song "Lovin' It" was blaring from the CD player.

Julian seemed to be in hysteria.

"Calm down dude," Justin smiled, "it wasn't that funny." He stepped down carefully.

But Julian's laughing face suddenly turned into a fearful one. He was gasping.

"Julian!" Justin shouted, "Ariana! He's having trouble breathing!"

"Oh my God!" Ariana exclaimed and hopped out her seat. She hurried over the kitchen and picked up an inhaler. She sprinted in front of Julian and helped him place it him his mouth.

She pushed the trigger and Julian took a deep breath. He pushed it away and coughed a bit.

Before Ariana could say anything, Justin quickly embraced Julian.

"It's okay, buddy," he comforted, "I'm here now. I'm so sorry I hurt you, but never again."

*COMMENT AND VOTE PLEASE- IT REALLY HELPS!

A bit close-to-home what Justin said- don'tcha think? ;)

And Julian has asthma! Poor little dude!