Trouble In His Laughter

Written while listening to Uncle Kracker's "Smile" (it's one of those songs you heard on the radio when you were 5 or 8 and you hear it again when you grow up somehow and you're just like "I LOVED THAT SONG!")

Julian buckled his seat belt and bounced up and down in his seat. Ariana smiled at him and Justin started the car, the radio turning on. He pulled out of the drive way, one hand on the wheel and his other arm slung around Ariana's seat.

The small family listened as the song, "Smile" by Uncle Kracker came on. The piano and drums started, everything peaceful. It was an old song and Ariana used to listen to it when she was just a teen. She hummed along:

You're better than the best, I'm lucky just to linger in your life

Justin sang: 

Cooler than the flipside of my pillow- that's right... Completely unaware.

Ariana laced her fingers around Justin's hand and sang with him:

Nothing can compare to where you send me, let's me know that it's okay- yeah, it's okay... and the moments when my good times start to fade...

Julian came into the duet with this innocently wonderful tone: 

You make me smile like the sun, fall out the bed, sing like a bird, dizzy in my head, spin like a record, crazy on a Sunday night.

Justin looked into his rearview mirror at Julian, who was leaning against the car door and singing and smiling. His voice was really the clarity that Justin had heard for so long in his head while he was asleep. And how perfect his son was. Julian was just a dream, really. He was too good to have had to go through everything he did. That depression of money and support.

The three in the car sang:

You make me dance like a fool, forget how to breathe, Shine like gold, buzz like a bee, Just the thought of you can drive me wild 

Justin smiled, thoughts full of Ariana and Julian and how he loved them so much,  Ohh, you make me smile

~

Justin pulled into Dr. Jenson's house. He was the Bieber's family friend and doctor and lived about half an hour away.

Ariana helped Julian out, who was a bit sleepy from the long car ride.

Justin turned off the car and quickly got out to Ariana and Julian's side, picking up Julian to his arms. The little boy laid his cheek onto Justin's shoulder and hugged him, falling asleep again.

"Justin," Ariana smiled, "You don't have to carry him."

He shook his head, "No, I want to hold him. I've missed out on too much."

Justin led Ariana to Dr. Jenson's front door, which was grand and very big. It was a huge white house, with trimmed hedges all around.

She rang the doorbell and almost immediately, it was opened by a teenage boy.

He had a lip ring, bright blue eyes, and black shaggy hair, wearing a beanie over it. He had a muscle shirt on and skinny jeans. He looked like the very emo teenage dream, no doubtably having abs under his tee.

He stared at Ariana, in a pretty, pink dress. She was the most beautiful woman he's ever-

"Hey, Darren," Justin said quickly, interrupting the boy's thoughts when he noticed he was staring at Ariana, "wow, you've grown. Is your dad home?"

"Yep," Darren replied, smacking his lips, "Like always. Come on in."

He shut the door behind Ariana, who smiled sweetly at him, "Thanks, Darren."