She didn't understand why Emily would just disappear out of sight like that, as if the ground swallowed her up or something of the sort. When they were studying, Emily was being all smiley and goofy and they were having fun. Given, Alison had been in minimal clothing, not taking the current season into considerarion, but that fact was of no importance. Emily was doing just fine back then, but now, she wasn't answering the blonde's calls. Something about this smelled odd, and it wasn't just because she was opening the door of the bathroom.

She pushed the door, immediately surprised at the sight of Emily there, washing her hands in the sink. The brunette spotted Alison through the mirror, a guilty expression covering her beautiful face. She sighed, wiping her hands with a paper towel.

"Where the hell have you been, I've left you, like, a thousand-" Alison came to an abrupt halt in her rant, seeing Emily turn to her and raise her glistening brown-hued eyes to the blonde's ocean blue ones. The brunette's bottom lip was trembling, and then it found itself being captured between her teeth.

Alison inched closer, deep concern in her icy eyes, "What's wrong?"

Emily shook her head silently, looking down at her feet again. The brunette found herself embraced by two soft arms looping around her body. She couldn't help but let out a small cry, burying her face in Alison's neck as her own hands found themselves on the blonde's back, desperately holding her close. "I'm going to fail this test," Emily mumbled, her voice hoarse from the crying.

"What? Why would you think that?" Alison asked, befuddled.

Emily sniffled miserably, "Because I don't know half of the material."

Confusion swam in the only pair of blue eyes in the room. "But... we studied for this test together," Alison stated, as if it was obvious. "We went through the entire material in one afternoon, Em, I thought it went well."

Emily whimpered weakly, reluctantly pulling away from the blonde. She picked at the end of her shirt sheepishly, as Alison continued to watch on with a mix of concern and bafflement.

"Well... I, I guess..." Emily struggled with her words helplessly, and Alison's eyes softened even further, as she instinctively reached out and entangled Emily's hand with her own. Emily only huffed in self-frustration at her lack of ability to explain herself at the moment, but the blonde simply watched her patiently. "I wasn't very focused that day," the brunette finally settled on.

"Why's that?"

Emily hopelessly stared at the tiled floor of their school's bathroom, biting her lip and looking down the same way she did when she didn't want to answer a question. When the seconds passed by and Emily moved to stare at the stall doors to their side, it became clear that Alison wasn't going to get an answer to her question.

The blonde sighed.

"Maybe-" Alison was cut off the sound of the warning bell. They had five minutes.

Emily's eyes widened in a way that would be comical under any other circumstances, but her girlfriend recognized the panic in those brown orbs.

"I can't do this test," Emily rushed out, her eyes darting around the bathroom.

Alison stepped up to her, "Yes, you can, Em. Besides, It's not our most important test. If you happen to get a bad grade, you can always just make up for it in the next one."

It was moments like these that made Emily glad that Alison wasn't just her girlfriend, but her best friend as well. The blonde knew exactly what to say in order to calm her down, she always had, long before they were dating. She found herself nodding slowly, trying to control her breathing as Alison gave her a lingering kiss on her cheek.