Arrival

I had just started my shift at the hospital, nothing ever really happened here. We were just a hospital for the people in a small town, just a couple of minor accidents was the most we ever usually got. Like a kid who sprained their ankle playing tug of war during homecoming week at school, the rope broke and another kid had landed on her leg. She was very clumsy, and she struggled to use the crutches, they're not that hard to use. Most of the time she spent at the emergency room was me teaching her how to use them properly. I was starting to get frustrated with her. (A.N. - This is actually a true story, I think I annoyed the nurse because I struggled with the crutches so much) (Also, I accidentally sprained my ankle again tripping in a hole during PE, so fun!)

Then, one early morning, we got a call. Someone had just gotten into a severe car accident and needed medical attention ASAP. So we loaded up an ambulance and sped off to the scene of the accident. The siren was wailing through the air as we sped down the road. It was really early in the morning, so there weren't many cars out, the few that were out and about pulled over so we could quickly pass by them. I didn't want to know who would be out and drive around this early in the day when you should be home sleeping, especially in a little town like this. Everything was closed, except for one of those 24-hour gas stations. It was a tad suspicious in my books. 

When we arrived at the scene, I immediately jumped out of the ambulance to look at the scene. There was debris from the accident everywhere. I knew that there were two people involved in the accident, one was already pronounced dead and the other was in critical condition. We were there to try and save his life before it was too late and he died. The rest of the rescue team quickly followed behind me and we ran to where our surviving victim was, as fast as we could while maneuvering a gurney around the cars and debris. 

When we reached the victim, he looked absolutely terrible, his face was all busted up and bloody, as was the rest of his body. He was unconscious, probably knocked out from the impact, which was worrisome. We checked his pulse and injuries before carefully getting him onto the gurney and rushing him into the ambulance so we could get him back to the hospital as fast as we could. His heart rate was currently stable and we believed that he didn't have severe enough injuries that would end up killing him if we moved him. Although, if we didn't hurry, he might not survive anyway. 

We quickly made our way back to the ambulance, successfully rushing the gurney without disturbing the victim. We loaded him into the ambulance and sped off once again, getting him to the hospital safely and taking him to the emergency room, all doctors and nurses on deck to help save him. Not that anyone was really complaining, we were all looking forward to some actual life saving and not minor injuries. This sounds terrible, but it was true, our jobs were boring here. 

We checked all of his injuries, making sure we hadn't missed anything fatal, rushing him to the x-ray room. We noticed he had a brain injury from the impact of the crash, it actually seemed pretty serious, we weren't exactly sure what could happen. It was most likely going to result in a coma, the body's way of safely allowing itself to heal. We set up a room for him to stay in until he woke up and was properly healed from the accident, wheeling him in and hooking him up to a dozen different machines to monitor his health. 

After all the doctors departed from the room when their work was done, I was left to clean him up. He still had dried blood on him, the doctors prioritizing his health and safety. I gently undressed him, trying not to disturb the patient. His body was covered in dark bruises and little cuts from the glass. I lightly began to clean up his wounds and wipe down his body. I put one of the hospital gowns on him and then carefully put the blankets on top. 

I was assigned to be the man's nurse, being the one that took care of him during his stay here. Obviously, someone else would take over when my shift was done, but I was to be the main one during my shift. I grabbed the clipboard from the edge of the bed, looking over what we knew about him. He had his ID on him when the accident happened, so it was easier to find his medical records. His name was Dallon Weekes, and he was 36 years old. He was quite tall, standing at 6'3, he would tower over me if he wasn't unconscious in the hospital bed. He had dark brown hair as well, I might have found him attractive if his face wasn't covered in bruises. I wondered what color eyes he had. 

He had been living with his girlfriend, Breezy, and we attempted to call her, but she wouldn't pick up. We didn't really know anything about his family, so we couldn't necessarily call them, which was weird, we usually had family records. Hopefully, his girlfriend would receive our voicemails and come see him. It would be helpful to be able to talk to her. 

We found the car accident to be the other driver's fault, he was drunk and speeding, hitting Dallon's car. We believe he died on impact, he was lucky enough to not have to live with the guilt of causing this accident. We weren't sure what Dallon's condition would be when he woke up, if he even did. I hoped for his sake that he did, he didn't deserve this. At least, I hoped not, I didn't know him, he could have been a terrible person just as easily as he could have been a good person. But I just couldn't see him being anything but good. 

"I'm hoping for the best for you, Dallon. We'll do our best to save you, but you gotta help us out," I whispered to the unconscious body. I didn't know if he could hear me or not, but I still said it. "Don't you go dying on us, I have faith in you." 

I took one last look at his relaxed face, imagining what might have happened if he woke up, but I knew that wasn't happening anytime soon. I went out into the hallway and sat down at the desk, hoping maybe Breezy would show up and talk to me about Dallon. Maybe even a call back from her, but I just sat there, bored from doing nothing, until my shift was over. Nothing happened with Dallon, he was in a stable condition, Breezy didn't show or call, maybe she hadn't seen the call yet. When my shift was over, I waited for the next nurse to come and fill my place, their name was Ryan Ross, and he was usually late to his shift. I usually didn't mind waiting, but I sometimes worried that he might lose his job. 

"Hey, Ryan," I greeted when he walked into the room, practically running as he was seconds from being late, again. 

"Hey, Brendon, anything interesting happen?" He asked. 

I started to explain to him what happened and how we were expecting and hoping for Breezy to contact us. As soon as I finished explaining it to him, I said goodbye then grabbed my stuff and went home. Time to relax after a busy day, I was tired out.