Ch.18: Undercover Work [Prt.3]

--Meanwhile-

Y/N sighed in relief as soon as she got to the room that the rogue samurai were in, glad that most of them were too drunk to notice her sudden appearance as she sat down and began to pour the sake as she had been shown by Kimigiku earlier that morning.

"Damn those stray dogs of the Shogunate." One of the rogues slurred.

"No one's afraid of the Shinsengumi! One day, I'll bewilder them!" A different rogue shouted.

"You have a brilliant plan or something?" Another one slurred.

Y/N frowned at the thought of these guys attacking the Shinsengumi, before feeling a shudder run up her spine as she noticed one of the men looking at her.

"What's the matter?" The man asked.

"I-It's nothing." Y/N assured with a falsely calm smile.

"If those meddlesome Shinsengumi are gone, the Tokugawa era would be long over." Snickered one of the others, catching Y/N's attention once more, as she stayed oblivious to the man from just before as he stood up and stumbled out of the room. "If we succeeded, I'd get a great reward for my accomplishments!" The same rogue boasted. "Like you." Y/N's eyes widened as the man leaned towards her, and she attempted not to cringe at the heavy stench of rotted food and alcohol that was on his breath. "Have you decided on a future husband yet?" The man asked her.

"No, not at all." Y/N responded calmly, though she was actually quite surprised. Her eyes then widened as he suddenly grabbed her wrist. I better get the whole bathing house to myself for the rest of the day. She bitterly thought.

"How about it? If you'd like to become my mistress, you should take this chance." He smirked at her.

"Uh...No thanks." Y/N declined.

"Oh ho~ So innocent." The man slurred happily, grunting as her elbow jabbed into his nose as she suddenly stood up.

"The bottle is empty. Please let me go refill it for you." She apologetically smiled at the man, and made a beeline to leave the room. As soon as she closed the door behind her, Y/N took a deep breath. What a bunch of pigs. She thought with a scowl, before jumping as the door slid open behind her.

"Hey, did you wait long?" That man questioned with a smirk as he stared down at her.

"I told you I was refilling your bottle, please return to the room." Y/N ordered, before beginning to quickly walk away.

"So, this is when they pretend to hate what they like?" The man snickered as he stumbled after her.

Y/N gasped as she found herself at a dead end and she turned around, only to see the man smirking at her. "What's wrong? You're not running anymore?"

Y/N raised the empty sake bottle to toss it at the guy, before her eyes widened as a familiar black clad man appeared in between them out of nowhere. "Yamazaki-san!" She exclaimed in relief.

"Who the hell are you?" The drunk rogue questioned. "That's a weird outfit. Who are you?!" He then pointed at Yamazaki with a look of distaste.

"I-I'm..." Yamazaki seemed to hesitate, before remembering Y/N's nickname for him. "As you can see, I'm a ninja." He stated.

"I knew it!" Y/N whispered to herself from behind him.

"A ninja?" The drunkard repeated. "Have you been eavesdropping?!" He shouted.

"No! I'm a ninja who protects the cute princess from the shadows on windy and rainy days!" Yamazaki exclaimed.

"What the hell?" Y/N deadpanned, wondering if she should focus on the fact he had called her cute, princess, or that he was acting like some sort of shining knight in armor.