Ch.14: The Striking of the Look-a-Like

-September, 1866-

A month before, the Shogun had passed away, causing a bunch of things to happen afterwards. Such as a board that states the Choshou to be the enemy was pulled up, and tossed into the river. Causing the Shinsengumi to have to protect the different boards in the small city.

"Welcome back." Chizuru greeted Shinpachi as he sat on the staircase next to Y/N, who was peeling an apple.

"Yeah, how'd it go?" Harada, leaning against the railing of the stairwell, questioned.

"I'm so tired I could drop. I don't mind crossing swords with those Choshou guys, but I can't get worked up about protecting a notice board." Shinpachi explained, grunting as Y/N harshly patted his shoulder.

"You're doing great." The female stated as she held up two thumbs with a monotonous expression that well matched Saito's.

"I can't really get motivated when you make such an uncute expression." The green bandana wearing male sighed.

"What was that?!" Y/N shouted as she whacked his side, pouting as the others laughed.

"Now that the entire Bakufu army has lost to the Choshu domain, I honestly don't think having killed some rogue samurai will change anything at all." Immediately pausing, the group glanced up to see the familiar purple clad man.

"Itou-san, do you have some sort of complaint with the duties of the Shinsengumi?" Harada harshly questioned the man, or, it at least felt like he was forcing himself to act polite.

In response, Itou laughed, causing Y/N to flinch. Which, the two males didn't miss, and caused their glares on the man to become more intense. "Heavens no. Protecting a sign board is an important in and of itself. Well, please do your best." Itou stated, waving, before he walked away.

"Damn, he's a creepy dude, as always." Shinpachi bluntly pointed out.

"I hate him so much!" Y/N exclaimed, punching her fists into the air, before leaning her back against the stair just above her as she scowled.

"I always see him getting his pals together, whispering about this and that. Who knows what he's up to behind the scenes." Harada stated as he eyed the corner Itou had turned, before groaning as he scratched his head. "What was Kondou-san thinking when he recruited a guy like that?"

"Harada-san." The group quickly looked at three Shinsengumi warriors as they approached.

"Oh, times up, huh?" Harada questioned as he grabbed his spear and began to follow after the guys.

"Please take care of yourself." Chizuru said.

"And good luck!" Y/N cheered on beside her.

Harada turned his head to look at the two females and grinned. "Yeah." He agreed, before walking away.

-Two Days Later-Night-

Y/N stared around in awe as she walked between Chizuru and Kyo as they walked through the opening of the Red District, the guys seeming quite excited about the sudden happening the night before.

"Sano, you've really done us a service!" Shinpachi cackled happily to his best friend. "I never thought you'd use the reward money to treat us all." He grinned happily like a child would after his mother told him he could have any candy he wanted in the whole sweet shop.

"Shinpachi-san, if you really want to praise him, you ought to mention that he protected the sign board." Okita smirked from the other side of Harada.