Chapter 10

Luna's POV

     I skipped happily into the school. A big smile was plastered on my face.

     I'm going to see Phoenix!

     I heard Bleu groan and I giggled. She really hates it when I mention Phoenix.

     I was about to move forward when Bleu suddenly took over and stopped abruptly.

     Hey! What did you do that for?

     "Be aware. Look to your right," Bleu informed me as she let me regain control. I sighed and looked to my right. My smile dropped and my eyes dulled.

     Police tape surrounded the janitors closet, cordoning off the area. Crime scene investigators surrounded the corpse of a girl with brown hair. Even with the pale skin, I could tell who it was. The familiar olive green eyes. Lyra's eyes.

     Lyra's face was frozen in mid-scream, eyes wide in terror. I forced myself to look down at the rest of her body. She was tied to a thick pole that was nailed to the wall. Thick rope scratched her skin and probably made it raw and red as she tried to escape. A jar was left beside her. I moved closer to inspect it but the investigator stopped me.

     "Don't come close. This is a crime scene. Now can you please step back?" the investigator requested. I tilted my head and pointed at the jar. The investigator sighed and shooed me off.

     I looked down, tears dripped onto my shirt. I touched my face and realized it was wet. I had been crying. I sniffled then ran in the direction of the Moon Area. I wasn't even looking at where I was going. I just needed to get away. I bumped into another student and I crumpled to the ground. It wasn't a hard enough impact to make me fall, I just couldn't stand on my own two feet.

     A hand was stretched towards me. I grabbed it and the person pulled me up. I refrained from making eye-contact. I didn't want anyone to see the state I was in. I felt arms wrap around me. I looked up and saw Phoenix's concerned face staring at me. His lips were pursed and his eyes had a softer tone than normal. I looked away.

     I can't let him see me like this.

Phoenix's POV

     I pushed Luna's face back towards me. Tears brimed her eyes and I frowned. I didn't want to see her unhappy but Lyra's death would have affected her badly. Seems like very badly. I pushed her hair away.

     "Go home. You need to recover. School has been cancelled," I whispered to Luna. Luna nodded slowly. I let go of her but she didn't leave.

     "What was in the jar?" Luna mumbled. I eyes widened in shock. She had noticed the jar.

     "Acid. Hydrofluoric acid," I muttered. Luna started shaking and she ran off.

Bleu's POV

     When we finally reached Luna's room, we collapsed on the bed. I didn't imagine that Luna would end up in this state. I pulled myself away from her as we separated. Luna was still crying, not noticing the separation. I opened one of her drawers and pulled out a box of tissues. I plopped it in front of her and she looked up.

     "Thanks," that was all Luna could mutter. She sat upright and started wiping her tears away. I sighed.

     Should I tell her? It's about time right? This will lift a weight off her shoulders. Even if it's a light one.

     I cleared my throat. Luna looked up at me. I sat down on her bed in front of her.

     "Luna, did you ever wonder why I have this red ring around my neck?" I asked Luna as I motioned towards my neck. Luna nodded. I did a few sets of deep breathing to calm myself down before continuing.

     "When I was still alive, I was a girl in High School. I always got stellar grades especially in Math so I got bullied a lot. They always mocked me about my intelligence and they tried getting me into trouble multiple times. They framed me for stealing my classmates' phones. Luckily, the teaher trusted me," I said through my sobs. It pained me to recall all that. I never want to go back again. Luna moved closer, wanting to hear more.

     "It was hard dealing with all that. I couldn't tell my parents as they were constantly out of town. My brothers would tell me to fight the bullies but I couldn't muster up the courage. I had no friends. I had to keep it all to myself. Everytime I got bullied, it was like I was being filled with more negativity. Soon, I exploded of it," my voice lowered to a softer tone. Tears streamed down my face even quicker. I looked at Luna and signaled at her if we could combine. She nodded and I joined her. The story was too painful to tell. Too hard to think of without crying. So dreadful that I decided to flashback.

     I held a hammer in my right hand and the note that was written quickly in my left. I entered the bathroom and locked the door. I placed the note on the toilet seat.

     I stood in front of the mirror as I twirled the hammer in my hands.

     Should I do it?

     With trembling hands, I tightened my grip around the hammer's handle. I gulped and raised the hammer. I swung it. The shattering sound of the hanmer making contact with the mirror startled me. I dropped the hammer on the ground and I took a shard of the mirror.

     I took a step towards the now broken mirror. My hand trembled as I held the shard against my neck. I heard banging on the bathroom door. My brothers.

     I closed my eyes shut and slid the shard across my neck. I threw the shard away as I crumpled to the ground. Salty tears reached my mouth as I took another shard to stab my waist.

     I was almost drowning in my own tears by the time I had finished. Luna slipped away from me, seperating our forms. I felt a warm embrace. Luna was smiling, her dark blue eyes brighter than a few minutes ago.

     "I understand," Luna mutters. I smiled back, glad that I had finally found a friend.