Birthday Special.

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---

Birthdays were always a strange thing to Lance. Not that he didn't understand them, he totally did. But more so, the feelings a simple day could provoke.

Lance came from a large family, that was for sure. And with that, came parties.

His racial culture brought those anyway.

And, as the baby of the family, he had always had some pretty fantastic birthdays as a kid.

Though when he got older, that changed.
Little kids expect birthdays, so parents throw them together and make the kid feel special.

When you grow up, you have to learn that you're not that special. At least that was how Lance saw it.

Having so many brothers and sisters, birthdays were close together and it got to the point where they weren't as extravagant because it couldn't be afforded.

By the time July rolled around, many things were happening that often led to Lances birthday being overlooked as a teenager.

College funds, school shopping, all of the things that would be happening days after Lance had his special day.

In time it just stopped being special.

Would he get a present?
Sure, he didn't really need anything but come on, everyone is going to think about receiving a gift on their big day.

Would he get a Happy Birthday?
Would anyone remember?

Did anyone care enough to listen if he mentioned what day it was?

Most birthdays, Lance wanted to just stay quiet and see how many people would acknowledge the day. Or how many wouldn't, would be most likely.

Birthdays soon just became regular days for him throughout the years. Sure, maybe he would get a book and a happy birthday from online friends, but nothing big or fun.

Sometimes he'd get to choose dinner.
But like was mentioned, it became just another day for him.

Sometimes he was hopeful, maybe this birthday would be different. He'd have a party again or maybe Hunk would bake him something.

Hell, even just family bonding.
But it was just a wish.

Lances birthday just wasn't that important.

Not anymore.

So when his birthday rolled around during their first year up in space, he didn't say a word.

He didn't even go on Keith about how now he was older, and rub it in his rivals face.

No, that morning Lance woke up as if it were any other day. Pulled on his clothes, his favorite jacket, brushed his teeth, put on some makeup, and within the next hour was out of his room headed for breakfast.

The blue paladin didn't notice little mice scurrying into vents, rolls of confetti in their jaws.

"Good morning." Lance chimed as he entered the dining area, making sure he wasn't looking around at his friends as he casually went to grab a plate of goo.

In the back of his head, he wondered if anyone knew. It couldn't be helped.

At the front of his skull, desperately clinging the rest, he knew today was just another day.

It sent a vague pain through his chest but he chose to ignore it. Just another day.

"Good morning, buddy! How is the main man?" Hunk piped up in a cheerful tone.

Lance shrugged, walking to the counter for a fork, not looking up. "Oh, you know, feeling as perfect and charming as ever."

The dry chuckle that passed the boys lips was unnerving, and the Paladins exchanged glances.

"Lance."

"Hm?" He rose a brow, not looking up as he dug for the utensil.

"Lance."

"Yeah?"

"Lance."

Finally the boy looked up, "I hear you, what do--- you..." His breath flowed out of him in a harsh exhale.

Oh my gosh.

At the table his friends stood, holding a 'cake' and smiling fondly, if not a little worriedly.

In front of them, were a few haphazardly wrapped presents, which were in all honesty wrapped in toilet paper.

The cake was blue, shaped like an 'L' for Lance which they assumed was only fitting for someone obsessed with himself.

Lance didn't let it get to his head, even though the situation was obvious and his face was bright ass red.

Keep it cool. It's just another day.

Lance looked up at Hunk, taking his surprise and making it something fake. "Oh shit, whose birthday is it?"

The synchronization of furrowed eyebrows was something uncanny; Lance would have laughed.

Shiro spoke up, softly. "It's your birthday."

Pidge tilted her head, "July 28th, right?"

Hunk looked nervous for a moment, leaning to Keith and undoubtedly whispering, "We didn't get the day wrong, did we?"

They hadn't.
Of course they hadn't.

Lance took a good look around.
The room was decorated completely, streamers and confetti and even a banner.

Blue lights glittered for Lance.

They had remembered.
They cared and they were having a party.

Lance blinked, then tried to stay cool and shrugged, suddenly way too emotions rushing at once. "Oh, I know. I just didn't...think anyone would care, no one usually does."

Way to keep it cool.

Suddenly he was rushed with hugs, a swarm of love and caring bodies pressed to his and strong arms around him.

Lance teared up, something he'd been holding back. He chuckled, "Uh, guys?"

"It's your birthday! Of course we would care!" Pidge exclaimed, squeezing Lances waist tighter in a hug.

"You're my best friend, how could I forget?" Hunk said next, ruffling Lances hair.

It was happy tears and sniffles after that, and of course celebration and loud.

Birthdays were always a strange thing to Lance, and forever would be. And ironic.

How?

They were just as unexpected as the day each person decides to be born. Sure, you always know it's gonna happen, but you are still surprised.

Lance was surprised today.

His space family had not only remembered his birthday, no. That wasn't initially had Lance so riled up.

It was that they had remembered and acknowledged and embraced it. That was more than he'd gotten in years.

He felt special today.
He felt loved.

If only he knew, what was waiting for him behind the fourth wall, and how much love he was worth.

Happy birthday, Lance.