Mind and Soul

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---

Lance loved to dance.

The simplicity, yet complexity, of moving one's body in tune to just mere words and instruments. It was an art.

He especially loved the music that became the dance.

Music is an escape for nearly everyone, no matter the genre, or the person. Also, everyone has their own respectful idea of what music truly is.

Music can be merely a small tapping of the hand, a hum under one's breath as they listened intently to the sounds around them.

Music could be loud and obnoxious and invading, music with intent to truly reach one's soul and rejuvenate them.

Soothing the mind if the days toils and allowing oneself to be immersed in a while new dimension.

Music could be a voice. Or a sound. Not singing, nor a tune, no. Music can be a loved one’s voice, speaking softly and in just the right way.

You couldn't ​dance to it, no.

But your heart could.

Lance could feel his heart dancing to his mother's voice, had felt it since he was a small child.

He would be cradled, barely a few months old, in his mother's arms as she spoke to him in a language he could not yet comprehend.

Her voice was soft, sweet. His heart could sound slowly and dance to the waves of her voice.

It was the most beautiful voice he had ever heard. That he would ever hear.

The blue eyed boy grew up on music.

Maná, Enrique Iglesias, and so many others.

He even got into more English speaking bands, though most of his interests were cringey.

The point was, music played a bigger role in his life, in everyone's lives, than most come to truly think.

Music could bring people together, but also rip them apart. The way lyrics molded together to evoke such feeling, such passion.

People paid for music, repeatedly​.

You wouldn't buy the same movie over and over, or play it over and over, just because that dog dying was something you could relate to.

No, that wasn't the same.

The pain wouldn't always be there, it wouldn't be the same repeatedly​. Movies got old.

Music didn't, as it was always evolving.

Your tastes could change, you could find new lyrics, but you'd always love it.

It was truly an amazing thing.

Lance lost music when he went to space, or at least his music. The music he grew up on.

He couldn't connect to the Altean tune, the unknown language. The foreign beat.

How are you supposed to feel, relate, connect to something you don't understand?

Without his music, Lance was a little quieter than usual. Not completely ​out of it, but just not his truly normal self.

It hadn't bothered him I much when his career as a paladin originally took over his life.

Everything was so hectic and active that there was never time to think about music or to think of listening to it. No time to remember.

But as the weeks turned to months and everything started to cool down, Lance found himself longing for the sound once again.

A tune to fill the air, a beat to tap to, something to sway his hips along with.

Music.

The team noticed this of course.

Sometimes Lance would mention something about music, or maybe about a particular sound he liked.

In all honesty, they missed it too.

So one day, when Lance was having an especially hard day, the team got together and they made it up to him.

Pidge managed to do some tech magic, and compiled a list of some of the favorite songs and sounds Lance had mentioned.

Sound of rain.

Traffic in the mornings.

A few favorite songs.

Recess, or children playing at a park to remind him of his childhood.

Keith and Shiro, even though they didn't need to, made a sort of dance room out of the training arena for the day.

Hunk was the one who delivered the surprise.

Lance had reacted well.

Unless you count bursting into tears a bad reaction. But they were happy tears.

Everyone had an amazing time.

The music was never turned off, the sounds were played louder.

Lance laughed and danced and interacted with everyone. The smile he wore was genuine, and in that hadn't been seen in awhile.

The music was playing, the best pounding deep within him. His friends were with him.

And ya know what?

Lance was happy.