38) Ember's Job

Natsu

"Hey, Ember! EMBER!! Jeez, where the heck is she?" I scowled, placing my hands on my hips.

"If she was around, she's probibly gone now, with all your screaming." Happy snickered. "Lucky for you, I already know where she is."

"Why do you want her, anyway?" Kameel asked, trailing behind me and Happy as we walked down the second story hall.

"I wanted to know if she, you, and Lucy wanted to go on a job with me and Happy!" I said, giving her a toothy grin.

Kameel narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms. "She can't go on a job."

I stopped and peered at her confuzed. "Why not?"

"She's not a member of the guild, or any guild. She wouldn't be paid." Kameel stated.

"That's right, Natsu. Ember said she doesn't even want to join Fairytail. I don't think she'd want to go on a job, either. She seems scared enough as it is here at the Guild Hall. She'd be terrified out there in the feild." Happy added.

It felt like my happy spirits deflated like a balloon. I frowned.

"Well..." Kameel started. "True, she doesn't like it here at the Hall, but I think that's only because of all the people. When I found her in tge forest, she seemed perfectly at ease in the trees. I think a chance to get out would be good for her."

I smiled, the balloon filling back up. "Well then let's go ask her!" I smiled, turning back around and dashing down the hall. "Now..." My brows furrowed. "Which room is she in exactly?"

Kameel laughed as Happy flew over my head. "You really shouldn't be leading if you don't even know where we're going!" Happy said, rolling his eyes.

He hovered over to a far door on the left and stopped, turning back around. "She said she wanted to be as far away from people as possible..." He said.

I walked up to the door and opened it. The lights were off, the curtains drawn. I cracked open the door and peeked inside.

"Ember. You in there?" I whispered. I scanned the room and spotted a small ball of red fur curled up on top of the bed, partly covered by the comforter.

She groaned, slightly stirring in her sleep. "Who dares desturb me while I sleep!" She growled.

"Cool it, Ember. It's just me." Kameel chuckled as she stepped past me into the dark room. I waved my arms franticly, trying to call her back before the small ball of fury was unleashed onto my sister. She shook her head at my mockingly, turning back to the furr ball.

"No need to get worked up. We just wanted to ask you something, but I guess now's not the best time. We can come back later..."

Ember looked up, a grim, tired look on her face. She swayed her gaze over to the door, glaring at Happy and I, before turning her gaze back to Kameel. She just stood there, completely calm under the Hell-Cat's death glare.

I bit my nails, nearly on the verge of pulling Kameel out of range of Ember's attack when the Exceed rolled her tired eyes and sighed.

"Fine. What do you want?" She breathed, exasperated. "I'm too tired to get mad, so you better make this quick before I wake up completely." She snorted, shooting a peircing glare back towards the door.

Happy shuddered under her gaze, and it felt like her stare was so cold, I was surprised frost didn't form in the space between us and the she-cat. Although, that is kind of Ice Prick's thing...

"We just wanted to know if you wanted to join us on a job." Kameel said.

"A... job?" Ember asked skepticaly.

"Yeah. It's the guilds way of earning a living, while helping others with their problems at the same time. But, since you're not an official Fairytail wizard, you wouldn't earn any money..." Kameel explained, letting out a small sigh at the end.

"Why should I care about problems that aren't my own?"

"Because if you want a place to stay, and food to eat, you should at least do something to earn it." Kameel hummed, the un-said threat hanging in the air above them dangerously.

Ember narrowed her eyes at her. My eyes darted to Kameel, her back to me, then back to Ember, back and forth as the tension grew thick.

After an eternity of glaring, Ember caved. She sighed, long and slow, in defeat.

"Fiiiiiine!" She groaned.

Kameel cocked her head to the side in satisfaction. "Trust me, kitty, you'll like it! But, of course, you won't really get any money unless..."

"DON'T finish that sentance!" Ember snapped. Her eyes only slits, she turned back to the door. She huffed before padding around in a circle and slumping back onto the bed, her back facing us. "I'll think about it..." Her voice was so quiet, if I didn't have enhanced hearing, I wouldn't have heard it. "I'm already going on this job with you. Don't push your luck."

Kameel shrugged. "M'kay. We're gonna go check out what jobs there are. If you care to join us, we'll be downstairs." Kameel turned back and walked through the door, closing it carefully behind her.

I stared at her, a dumbfounded look written all over my face. "You amaze me sometimes." I mumbled.

Kameel chuckled, pulling my head under her arm and ruffling my hair. "What makes you say that?"

"First, you tamed Erza. Then, you snapped the smug and ruthless Cobalt practicly in half! And now you're best buds with a she-cat from Hell that nearly bit my head off this morning!!" I listed. "You have more strength and power, not to mention bravery, in your pinkie, than I have in my entire body!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air before they fumbled back to my sides.

"Eh! I may have all that stuff for me, but it's not worth spit if I don't have experience." She said with a wink and a shove. "You've got experience, and guts. You're loyal, stubborn, thick headed, courageous, strong... should I go on?" She smirked.