Epilogue

One year later...

Sol could see about ten people sitting around a conference table in the building below. They shone brighter than the soldiers hugging the walls of the room. With a slow blink, the world lost the azure tones of Eagle vision and brought the building back into focus.

"What do you think, Lazerus?" Sol turned to him on her right.

"I don't see the target," Lazerus shrugged.

"This better not be another trap, Andy," Sol crossed her arms.

"You lead the team into a trap one time..." Andy huffed.

"Sol broke her wrist and I had to come rescue you," Nerida laughed. "You are the king of first missions, Andy."

"What happens when I'm not around?" Lightning mused. "I can't leave you alone for one minute."

"Yes, you can," Ann joined in. "You just don't want to cause we're so lovable."

Everyone failed to contain their laughter. Sol knew that, soon, they would have to start the mission. The laughter would die, the battle would start, and the war would continue. Yet, for just that moment, they were not trained killers about to attack a heavily protected building to try to end the rule of an evil corporation. They were exactly what they seemed; a group of teenagers smiling together. It was moments like these that made the countless battles worthwhile. As long as they could stand like this and smile together, freedom still rang.

As Sol stepped up to the edge of the building, she felt a surge of emotion she had never felt before. It wasn't the fear that had permeated her first jump. It wasn't the nervous excitement of the mission. It was pride. Pride in her work, pride in her goal, but most of all pride in her friends. As she stepped up to the edge, she was no longer the confused kid with no one to guide her. As she spread her arms out, she was no longer a drifter trying to escape her past. As she smiled over her shoulder at her team, she was an eagle waiting to take flight. As she jumped, she was an Assassin working in the dark to serve the light.

The End... And The Beginning