Chapter 17

"Sorry you had to wake up to that," Ann said gently as Nerida finished explaining the events of the last couple days.

Sol sat in silence. Her eyes where watery, but she could not bring herself to cry. Maria remained at the foot of Sol's bed, where she had stayed the entire length of Sol's slumber. Ann took notice of her and excused herself.

"Maria hasn't eaten since we vanished," Ann said as she let go of Sol's hand and moved towards the door. "I'd better get her something."

Sol nodded slowly. She knew she should be crying, screaming, doing something to release her sorrow, but she couldn't bring herself to break the promise she had made with them. Promise you won't cry till we see you again, we want to know you're happy, their little voices range in Sol's ears and sealed away her tears. She simply sat in shock, waiting for something to distract her.

* * *

For the next two weeks, no one heard from Lazerus or Lightning. Ann and Nerida spent every day sparing, drinking, and sitting by Sol's bedside. Sol had stopped talking altogether. She still smiled and acted like normal, but it was as if her voice was gone. She spent countless days sitting by one of the windows of the infirmary looking out at the jungle. Joy found her in her usual spot that day. She pulled up a chair next to her and sat down.

"How are you feeling today?" Joy asked casually.

Sol gave her a sad smile, but didn't respond.

"I realized we don't know much about each other," Joy continued. "So how about we trade stories. I'll tell you mine if you promise to tell me yours."

Sol cocked her head to the side. She seemed curious about the idea.

"I was born here in Kingston," Joy began her story. "I was born to a pair of American doctors. Being a doctor runs in the family. My parents, their parents, their parent's parents; all doctors. So, naturally, I needed to be a doctor too. Thing is, I never wanted to be a doctor. I wanted to be an archaeologist; like Indiana Jones. My parents weren't fond of the idea. The older I got, the worse the punishments. They even went so far as to ruin my application to all the archaeology based programs I tried to get into. The hurt even more than the occasional slaps I would get from my dad. Eventually, I gave in. I don't like medicine, but there are worse jobs in the world, so I shouldn't complain. I met Michael in school. It's thanks to him that I get to live the life of adventure that I always wanted to without having to disappoint my parents. I still wish, sometimes, that my parents had let me study archaeology though."

Joy smiled faintly into the air. It felt good to let her story float into the air. She usually hated telling it, but she felt that Sol of all people would understand her. Sol sighed, the first noise she had made since she had learned of Andy's death, and startled Joy.

"My mom wanted me to be an Assassin," Sol's voice was slightly rough from lack of use. "She trained me from the moment I could walk and hold a sword for this. I never wanted to follow in her footsteps."

"What did you want to do?" Joy asked.

"I wanted to study music," Sol smiled sadly. "I guess I'll never be able to do that now."

"Don't worry," Joy smiled at her. "I'm sure you'll find a way to blend the two."

Sol smiled at the idea. Joy was glad to see that Sol looked a little brighter after their talk. From the way the others talked about Sol, Joy could tell that she was a good friend to have. I'm glad to see you're back, Sol. Joy got up and moved to leave the room.