Chapter 2

Six months later

Sol walked slowly down the street pulling up the hood of her hoodie to shield the back of her neck from the cold wind; having short, dark brown hair was a disadvantage sometimes. She knew it was dangerous for her to be out in the open like this, but the apartment was so cramped all the time she couldn't help needing to leave. Still she was cautious, her senses where on high alert as she entered the CVS.

She grabbed some gummy bears and a soda and headed for the register. As the cashier checked her items, her bright blue eyes wondered around the store. That's when she noticed the two men dressed a little too warmly for Florida. The men were also constantly glancing her way and whispering to each other.

The same thing had happened last week. Sol quickly paid, grabbed the bag and left the store. Maybe I can escape like I did last time, she thought. She faked going back the way she had come and at the last minute, ducked into an ally way. She walked faster when she noticed the men from the store turn into the ally after her. Just before she could make it out, two more men stepped into the ally from the other side, blocking her path. She backed away slowly, gently easing a switchblade from her pocket.

"You guys never learn, do you?" She muttered.

The men all pulled out wicked looking hunting knives and began advancing on her. She; for not the first time, felt blessed by her short stature; as it allowed her to quickly dodge the first swipe they made at her and sliced the man's exposed wrist easily. The poison she had started coating the blade with three months ago acted quickly, the man stood bewildered for only a second before collapsing. The second man made the same mistake and was soon on the ground next to his companion. The third man was a little faster than Sol expected. As he slashed at her, she had no choice but to go on the defensive. She just barely managed to block the attack. The fourth man decided to take advantage of the situation and came up behind the girl, ready to deliver the fatal blow. Unaware of the danger she was in; Sol continued to fight the third man, finally managing to nick the man's face. She turned to face her last opponent and found the man staring at her in wide eyed terror. She noticed the strange blade pressed against the man's throat just before it drew a dark red line on the man's pale skin. The man collapsed to reveal a teenaged boy with short brown hair and amused green eyes. There was no sign of the strange blade.

"Save some for the rest of us," the boy chuckled as he looked at the bodies around her.

"Who are you?" Sol growled, instantly on high alert.

"Oh, I'm sorry ..." he replied calmly, bowing slightly at the waist. "Andy Zelaya at your service.

"Why did you help me?"

"Simple, the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Sol regarded him for a moment. She wasn't sure why, but something told her that this Andy kid would have killed her already if he truly meant her harm. So she slowly lowered her weapon, deciding to at least hear him out.

"I've been chasing these bastards for weeks now," he explained as he stooped to examine the Templar rings on the hands of her attackers. "I guess I won't be needing to do that anymore."

"Why where you chasing them?"

"It's kinda my job."

"Strange job."

"Hey now, I'm not going to have my life choices criticized by someone I don't know," he replied. "Got a name?"

Sol sighed. Well, he did just save my life. It's the least I can do.

"Solana Benitez, but most people call me Sol."

"Pleased to meet you, though I have to ask, why were they chasing you?"

"My mom," Sol stared, looking uncomfortable. "She died three years ago. They've been after me since."

Sol knew the real reason these men were chasing her had little to do with her mother's death. Her mother's murder was only the tip of the iceberg, but she knew better then to tell anyone about what had actually happened. She watched Andy's reaction closely. Can he tell I'm hiding something?

"Oh shit...," he said, eyes filling with compassion. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't worry about it. Now I'm just trying to pick apart what she did for a living. She trained me my whole life to fight then suddenly disappeared leaving me with nothing but some weapons and this ... weird symbol. It's just too mysterious." She sighed letting her guard down slightly, and then realized what she was doing. "But why am I telling you this."

"Wait! What symbol exactly?"

"This one she had tattooed into my arm a month before she left."

Sol rolled up her sleeve to reveal a large black tattoo on her forearm. Andy's eyes grew wide. He had suspected as much when he saw her fighting. He was glad his suspicions had been true.

"No way," he smiled, casually pulling out a necklace from inside his shirt with the same symbol.

Sol stared at the pendant in shock. Never before had she meet anyone else with this symbol. She understood now that this boy and her mother must have had the same job, and that meant he had the answers she was looking for. Thousands of questions raced threw her mind as she tried to organize them in order of importance, but before she could ask anything, Andy offered her a small slip of paper.

"Look I know you have questions, but we can't talk here. If you want answers, you'll need to agree to become what your mother was, what I am. An Assassin. If you're willing to do that; grab your weapons, say goodbye to your family, and meet me there tomorrow night just after sundown. If you don't want to join, burn the paper. I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm forbidden from giving secrets to outsiders, but something in your eyes tells me you've already decided to join. So, I guess I'll see you tomorrow." He said.

Sol took the paper slowly; his words making a thousand more questions appear in her mind. She glanced down at the paper; it was a slip of the morning newspaper. It talked about a pavilion in a local park in which the authorities had found three dead bodies yesterday morning. Sol looked up from the slip, but she was suddenly alone. Andy was no where to be seen.

Sol glanced at the paper again,stuffed it in her pocket along with her switchblade, and picked up her soda andcandy from where they had fallen during the fight. I must be crazy, she thought as she trudged home to pack.