Chapter 19

Lazerus popped his head out the door, grabbed Jack, and quickly dragged him back inside. He had come out of the kitchen when he had noticed Jack's shout. He had covered his eyes and slowly made his way towards the door. Once the light had vanished, he had quickly grabbed Jack. He made eye contact with Andy as he did. Shit, he thought, why is he with them? there would be time to ask questions later. If they made it out of this. Lazerus dragged Jack back to everyone else in the kitchen.

"We're under attack," Lazerus spoke quickly. "We need to grab everything and go. Sol, Nerida, get the others. Jack and I'll handle provisions. Use the com to keep up with each other. Five minutes, GO!"

Sol and Nerida sprung into action. Sol raced down the hall and burst into Lightning's room. She woke her quickly and explained the situation. Lightning got to packing. Nerida grabbed Ann from the communications room and did the same. As Sol raced passes Ann and Nerida on her way to her room, the first wave came. She heard Lazerus in her ear.

"DUCK!"

Training sent her down onto her stomach in seconds. Bullets struck the building on all sides. They struck the outer wall and slipped into the house like a hot knife through butter. Drywall and dust rained all around them. The rat-tat-tat of machine gun fire was almost defining. Sol had never gunfire this loud before. She would soon see why. A couple of the bullets that struck the wall where the size of flash drives, and when they struck, smoke filled the air. Sol's ears where ringing, but the sounds of fire had stopped. She slowly crawled to her feet and looked around. She was glad to see Ann and Nerida doing the same.

"EXPLODING BULLETS!" Ann panicked. "WHO THE FUCK MAKES EXPLODING BULLETS!"

Sol didn't bother answering. She took one look at the football sized holes in the wall, and ran to her room. She quickly pulled out her weapons and strapped them to her body. She knew she was going to have to fight her way out. Once she was completely packed, she threw her bag onto her back and dashed back into the hallway. She could see the others already standing near the back door. As she neared them, she realized she was missing something. THE CHIP! She had left her little science experiment in the kitchen. She threw her bag at Lazerus, told him to go, and flew back down the hall.

Sol dove into the kitchen. There was debris from the bullets everywhere. She searched the kitchen table and was relieved to find her chip and the box exactly where she had left them. she dusted them off and put them in her left hand. She stopped by the door of the kitchen and peaked out. It was quiet outside. No bullets, nothing from the com, no shouted orders. Sol looked around. Her visibility was limited, but it looked like they were in the clear for now. She stepped out into the hallway.

"Where is the boy?" The voice was monotone, but familiar.

Sol raised her hands and slowly turned around. What she saw made her stop dead in her tracks. Andy stood behind her, guns aimed straight at her head. The tears where flowing before she could stop them. Suddenly, Andy looked behind her and fired his gun. Sol had just enough time to hit the ground before the bullets exploded. She crawled on her hands and knees till she could see what it was Andy was suddenly aiming at. It was Nerida. Simultaneously, Nerida dodged the bullets and threw a couple of knives at Andy. He batted them away like they were nothing, but had to stop shooting in the process.

"SOL!" Nerida shouted, motioning for her to run towards her. "LET'S GO!"

Sol leapt to her feet and ran. She had just made it to Nerida when the bullets started again. They managed to make it into the back hallway covered in dust, but uninjured. Jack was waiting for them there. He opened the back door for them as he saw them approach. They were almost outside when it happened. Jack saw the grenade roll down the hallway after the girls. With superhuman speed, he shoved the girls out the door and slammed the door shut. Jack placed his back against the door to try to contain the blast. BOOM! As the smoke cleared, Sol got to her feet, whipped the soot from her eyes, and assessed the damage. That's when she saw him.