Chapter 32

"So," Charles cautiously walked into the room. "If everyone is willing, I'd like to stage a rescue attempt now."

Once Sol's burn and Lazerus's wound where rebandaged, the team gathered around the kitchen table to discuss their rescue plan. Charles had finished his research to discover Nerida was being held in one of the most secure buildings in the city. As he laid the building's blueprints on the table, Lightning and Ann came down to join them. No one believed him when he announced where she was.

"We need to break into the parliament building?" Andy gawked. "Seriously?"

"I'm afraid so," Charles nodded.

"Okay," Sol shrugged. "So, let's break into Parliament."

"Are you sure you're well enough to break into Parliament?" Lazerus asked, concerned for her safety."

"I'm fine Laz," Sol smiled.

"Get ready, Lovebirds," Andy stood. "We leave as soon as possible. Where in the building is she?"

"Under the west wing of the building," Charles replied.

"We'll sneak in as guards," Andy announced. "Dispatch in thirty minutes."

Half an hour later, Andy, Lightning, Ann, Charles, Sol, and Lazerus where crammed into the back of a cab. They sat in silence in front of the Parliament building while Lazerus scoped out the place. He passed the binoculars to Andy. Pointing out the window at a group of guards, he explained his idea.

"Those are the best candidates," Lazerus drew an imaginary circle around them.

Charles turned to the cab driver. "We'll be getting out here."

* * *

Nerida was starting to really hate that guy. She didn't know who he was or what he wanted, but the guy over the PA system was killing her. All he did was tell the Templars in the room when to start torturing, and when to stop, and when to change methods, but his voice was grating on her ears. It was much too high for a man's voice, but had none of the softness a woman's voice would have. It was like a burly wrestler had had his balls kicked in. Nerida would have clawed her own ears off if she wasn't restrained to a table.

"That's enough," The PA guy announced. "The Docs have arrived."

Nerida laughed bitterly, "Is that all?"

The guards around Nerida took a step back, letting Nerida gasp for breath. The electricity that had been running through her system left her feeling twitchy and numb. She tried to keep her hands from twitching was the last of the shock dissipated. The door to the stark white room opened. Nerida strained to see who was coming in, but couldn't really see the door from where she was. A woman with long brown hair and a man with graying stubble on his chin and glasses entered her field of vision. The woman's eyes where brown, but the man's where a shade of blue Nerida recognized. They were her eyes.

"Is this her?" The PA guy asked. Nerida noticed his voice sounded the same live as through the speaker.

"Y... Yes...," The woman spoke. "Oh, darling, it's her!"

"Alice," The man added. "Can it, really be you?"

"Who the hell is Alice?" Nerida frowned at them.

"Don't you remember us, Darling?" The man asked softly. "It's us. Your parents."

"Yeah, no," Nerida sighed. "I don't know who you are. I'm Nerida."