Chapter 30

"Lazerus!" Andy hollered into the phone. "TALK TO ME!"

Andy wasted no time. He quickly grabbed his hidden blades and raced out the door. Nerida, glaive in hand, raced after him; begging him to slow down and explain. Charles hesitated as he reached the doorway. He wanted to help Nerida, but the dangers outside the den where daunting. He took a deep breath and took off after them.

Andy knew they had to be close. Sol was smarter than to let Lazerus drag her too far from the den without proper weaponry. He spotted a café with a park across from it. He made a beeline for the center of the park. He had heard over the phone the sounds of a fountain, so he followed the sound to the center of the park. He found it. White stone carved with the faces of angels all spewing water from their open mouths, and a winged lady on their heads. Andy recognized her as Nike, Goddess of Victory. Lazerus and Sol where nowhere to be seen.

There were no signs of a struggle. Nerida stepped past Andy and picked up a small black box from the floor. It was Lazerus's phone. It had clearly been dropped and then smashed.

"Andy," Nerida handed him the phone. "We need to go after them."

"It's too late," Charles began to tremble slightly. "They're gone."

"SON OF A BITCH!" Andy screamed, punching the nearest bush. "They could be anywhere in London by now! Where is there hideout!"

He directed his last sentence at Charles. The poor man was shaking violently now, his face pale and sweating. He looked scared.

"I don't know," Charles mumbled. "But I know where we can start looking."

"Let's go then," Andy started walking.

Nerida slid next to Charles as they walked. He looked nervous, glancing around as if every shadow was an enemy. She gently placed her hand on his arm to grab his attention. He started badly. His eyes where wide and startled, but he faced her.

"You okay, Char?" Nerida asked him carefully.

"Sorry," Charles smiled apologetically. "I just... I haven't been outside the den in four years. I... I'm not really the field agent type."

"You're the leader, but you don't go one missions?" Nerida was puzzled by this prospect. "How did that happen?"

"I used to be the technician of the team," Charles shrugged sheepishly. "I can't really fight, so I used to stay at the den. I was mission control. One day, the team just didn't come home. The Mentors made me leader for being the last man standing."

"So, you're a strategist," Nerida realized. "You lead the team by guiding them as a hacker. I'm guessing Manny is the field leader?"

"Yes," Charles seemed to calm a little. "He's a great leader."

Nerida gave him a bright smile, "You're the brains and he's the brawn. Sounds like a good team dynamic."

Charles couldn't help but blush. He was starting to fall for the firecracker of the visiting team. Nerida could see the crush in his eyes. She felt sorry for him in that moment. Nerida wasn't the "dating" type. She'd had plenty of one nightstands, and frankly preferred it that was. She could barely remember all the faces she had slept with. Men and Women floated through her mind in a haze of blurry faces. She didn't want to give them up. Nerida gave Charles a smile that she hoped conveyed this message. He blinked, looked ashamed, and turned away; he had seen that smile enough to get the message.