Chapter 26

The next morning I wake up for school. I was ready to start my day. I did my morning routine and got dressed. I'm not gonna go into detail about what I wore just know I had on clothes. I grabbed my phone and book and went downstairs. Lando and Tommy were sitting in the living room watching TV. I walk in and sit on the arm of the sofa..

"Why y'all still here?" I ask them.

"School delayed for a hour." Lando says.

"Oh..." I say and get up and go into the kitchen. I walk to the refrigerator and grab me a lunchable. The doorbell rings and I look around the corner. Tommy and Lando still sit in their same spots. "It's okay don't anybody get up to get the door." I say sarcastically to them. I open up the door and it's Brenden and Lonnie.

"Hey Ko..." Brenden greets.

"Why y'all here?" I ask uninterested in hellos.

"We want to talk to you and squash all the beef shit for good. I miss our friendship." Brenden admits.

I look at both of them skeptically. "Lando and Tommy I'm going to breakfast early with Brenden and Lonnie. If anything happens to me y'all know who I was with." I say to them and grab my bag. "Lead the way..." I motion to them...

*Japree P.O.V*

"Wake up Bernard..." I shake him to wake him up to get dressed.

"Mmm. Come back to bed Bae." Bj groans. He always want to be up under me.

"No we got to go to school today." I lift up the mattress and he rolls off.

"Aw shit..." Bj mumbles. "You play too much." He says, angry. He storms out of the room into the hallway bathroom.

Maybe I did take it a little far but he should've got up. My mama comes into the room. "Goodmorning Baby."

"Goodmorning Ma." I hug and kiss her.

"How you doing?" She asks.

"I'm good. Why you ask that?" I look at her.

"No reason. I just want to make sure my babies are okay. I know I'm rarely home but I want y'all to understand that y'all are damn near adults now. I won't always be around to watch over y'all." She strokes my hair.

"I know that Ma." I smile. "You are not going anywhere any time soon."

She looks away and sighs. "Milo come in here!" She calls to him.

Milo walks into my room picking out his hair. "Yeah Ma."

"Sit down for a second." She pats the side next to her.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"You both know I love y'all very much right?" She asks looking between us.

"Yeah..." We both respond.

"And y'all know that will always be well taken care of?" She asks.

"What are you trying to say Ma?" I finally ask..

"Ain't no sense in beating around the bush with you..." She hesitates before speaking. "I have breast cancer..."

I gasp and begin to tear up. My lips tremble at the word cancer. My grandmother died from cancer. It got so bad to the point that when she died she looked like a former shell of herself. To see my mother about to go through the same process is too much to bear.

"Ma... How?" Milo asks.

"It could've came from anything baby. I don't want y'all to be sad for me. I'll beat this I know I will. I just don't want to wait until it's too late to confess somethings to you." She pauses.