|22|

22. Love is the worse pain

"You're gonna be late if you stay wrapped up in that forever," Dad called to me as I struggled to untangle myself from the blanket burrito I created late night

"I don't understand why it's so important I have to go today?" I groan, still trying to untangle the hot mess I am.

It's already been a week into May and I can already feel my brain ready to explode due to all the college applications and finals I've taken in this last hell of weeks.

"You only got one month left." Dad, I could tell was crossing his arms, reminded me.

"It's called senioritis," I point out. "I officially am declaring myself brain-dead."

"I'm officially calling you, lazy." Dad counter backs with a snicker. "Get ready."

I heard Koda bark and the front door shut before I pulled myself off the comfort of my bed. Tripping on the blanket that was wrapped around my ankle and landing on the floor hard. Lucky for me, the Robinson's downstairs, were away on their annual spring time vacation.

Koda came racing into my room after hearing the crash. Licking my face repeatedly until I got back up.

"Koda your life is so much easier," I tell him. He tilted his head and stuck his tongue out.

For the past four months and nine days, everything has been very awkward between me and Blake. So awkward, I've been taking the yellow bus if hell for the past month.

Very few words are exchanged during the school day. Theo tries his best to make the best out of it all but seems to fail over and over.

For the past months, Blake started to hang out with Tara and her minions at school. Leaving Theo mad at him every time. I can't help but feel like I'm the one to blame.

Tara has been loving it. Smiling at me as I passed them through the halls. Somehow finding a way to get under my skin at any possible chance she sees fit.

I pulled on a jean jacket, that Rebecca got me as my Christmas present, over my loose white top. Paired with some simple black leggings and a beanie, I walked into the restroom and did all my hygiene duties before feeding Koda.

Koda waited by the door as if he was waiting for someone.

"What is it boy?" I asked while pouring his food into the metal bowl he would protect with his life if he had too.

He whined before barking at the door.

I sat his food down and he only glanced at it before diving for it. Even when something wrong, food fixes it.

"See you later," I tell him before escaping my house and heading to the bus of hatred and kids that don't know about deodorant yet.

For the entire ride to school, I got stuck sitting by a kid who would not shut up about his newest Pokémon to his friend. The kid behind me kept kicking my seat and two freshmen girls were talking about a senior party they got invited too and I couldn't help but laugh to myself when I heard their plan to sneak out.

I pressed my head against the bus window and shut my eyes, only to be shaken away by Pokémon kid telling me we're here. I wish he would of let me sleep, once he's my age. He'll understand.

Theo waited for me as I got off the bus.

"Blake's with Tara...again." He groans as we start walking towards the first period. He now in my history class which is a blessing since Blake totally abandon me on there.

Don't blame him. I'd do the same, especially with this awkward tension between us.

"Alright, something up?" Theo stops and grabs me. Making me stop.

"Senioritis." I smile. It was forced, but at least it was a smile.

"Finally hit you too?" He joked.

We started to walk again, dodging people as we weaved through the crowds and groups.

"I also get my SAT scores today." I smile weakly. "Truly terrified."

"Come on, there's no way you don't have a high score." Theo punches my shoulder. An action most guy friends do, but since our guy friend is avoiding us. I'm all he got.

"I also am expecting a letter from School of Visual Arts sometime soon." I grin, "hoping I got accepted."

"Well if you didn't, they are missing out on pure talent." Theo slaps my shoulder, hard. "Uh, sorry."

"It's...fine," I say rubbing my shoulder.

I looked up and saw Tara and Blake standing at my locker. Chatting about who knows what and just for a second I could feel my heart drop.

"Come on." Theo glared at them before dragging me down the hallway.

"I was totally fine," I argue after taking my seat.

"Sure you were." He says sarcastically sliding in next to me.

"I was!" I whispered yelled because Mrs. Chan walked in. Eyeing us suspiciously because neither of us is early to this call this whole semester.

Blake walked in, glancing at me for a second before Tara pulled him towards her desk.

Something clicked in Theo.

"That's it. I'm talking to him." He starts to stand up, but I pulled him down.

"Julia. He can't just drop his friends for some devil reincarnation." He was angry and he was right.

"Theo," I said, giving him to pleading look.

He groaned before leaning back in his seat. "Fine. But practice he will feel my wrath."

I couldn't help, but nod in agreement. Theo, out of everyone, needs a good explanation from Blake. That's for sure.

"I promised Theo, I'd wait for him after practice," I tell my dad through the phone. He still wasn't a fan of Theo, but after I explained to him what Blake been like the past weeks, Theo was moving up his love ladder.

"Be home by dinner. I'm bringing home takeout."

"Okay. Love you, dad." I smile to myself before hanging up.

I looked up when I saw the door open. I expected Theo since he comes out these doors, but it was someone else.

It was Blake.

When he saw me, he didn't try to avoid me. In fact, I tried to avoid him, but somehow he managed to stop me before I could.

"Julia!" He called. I could sense the hurt in his voice and it absolutely killed me.

I turned around slowly, the anger I didn't feel earlier was now starting to emerge.

"What do you want?" I say, crossing my arms.

He looked up and I could see his brown eyes were glazed over with water.

"I broke up with Tara." He said. "She didn't even seem hurt."

I was lost for words, but there was still an anger inside me. But what could I do in this situation?

I could have screamed at him. Told him how much of a jerk he's been the past few weeks. I could of let him feel my wrath, but I didn't. I did something that was the last thing I wanted to do.

I hugged him. Hugged him so tight that the pieces of his heart would mend back together.