chapter twenty-five

march twenty-five
prom part one

"all ready?" vivian's mom asks as she peaks her head through the creek of the door.

"almost!" vivian answers as she adds more mascara to her eyelashes.

"god, can you believe that a year from now we'll be seniors?" nat sighs. "and it'll be our last school dance...our last year together."

lexee turns to nat, placing her hands on her shoulders. "i did not spend an hour and a half doing my makeup for you to try and make me tear up, okay?"

nat rolls her eyes and goes back to curling her hair.

"anyways, i can't believe i don't have a date this year." lexee whines. "to think of it, the only people that do are sean with viv and julian with christy. seriously, julian has a date and not me."

"aw, lex, are you sad it wasn't you?" vivian jokingly pouts.

"shut up!" lexee elbows vivian, almost making her put mascara on her cheeks. "i'm not jealous that julian has been trying to get at the same girl for the past school year."

"whatever you say," viv laughs.

"alright, we're all ready," nat exclaims. "and i'm already tired."

the doorbell rings and the three girls all turn to one another simultaneously. they quickly grab their things and take a look in the mirror before heading downstairs.

"wait - lex and i will go out first, to give sean more time to mentally prepare himself to faint because of how good you look right now, you know?" nat says.

"uh-"

"not but's or uh's!" nat shushes vivian.

nat and lexee go outside first to meet julian, christy, josh, and sean.

"where's viv?" sean furrows his eyebrows.

just as he asks that, the door opens and vivian slowly steps out. she tucks a piece of hair behind her ear and bites her lip. "hi, sean."

"fuck," he curses under his breath as he sees her.

"what? do i look bad?" she asks nervously.

"no, he thinks you look hot, dumbass," nat hisses from a few feet away.

"oh." vivian's cheeks turn red.

sean walks up to her and smiles, taking her hands and intertwining them with his. "you are the most beautiful girl i've ever seen."

"ehem," josh clears his throat. "did you forget about the other three single people here just watching you guys?"

"shit, sorry," sean looks back and josh and laughs.

"it's fine, it's fine," josh mutters. "god, i sound like you from literally a month ago."

"whatever," sean rolls his eyes. "let's go?"

the group manages to all squeeze themselves into sean's silver top down convertible and head to the pier where they spend their time eating and taking prom pictures.

;

after two hours, it's seven and prom has begun. the friends all enter the venue to be greeted by hundreds of streamers, balloons, and decorations that match the parisian theme of the dance. in the middle, there's a large fountain surrounded by juniors and seniors eating. to the corner is a makeshift eiffel tower and to the opposite side of that are chairs and tables that mimic the setup of a cafe.