chapter sixteen

march one ; day fifteen

"do i look alright?" viv asks nat for the tenth time within the past hour.

"you look amazing, viv," nat assures, adding the final touchups to vivian's makeup.

"i'm just so excited that sean finally asked you out!" lexee exclaims from nat's bed.

"it's our second date actually," vivian admits.

"what?! when was the first?" lexee crosses her arms.

"why didn't you tell us that our favorite ship was sailing?" nat pauses. "whatever, it doesn't matter right now. did he say where he's taking you?"

vivian shakes her head. "oh shoot, what if it's somewhere fancy?" she worries, staring at the simple floral dress she was wearing.

before even more worries add to her list, the doorbell rings. the three girls all turn their heads to the clock to see it's already 7:00.

nat and lexee rush to the door, almost tripping each other while going down the stairs.

"hi sean!" they both say excitedly, each grabbing his arms and dragging him inside.

"she'll be just a second," nat flashes a smile.

he nods.

the two start to examine sean secretly starting from his outfit to his hair. he's wearing a denim jacket, black joggers, and a crisp white tee. his hair is styled up again and his eyeglasses sit perfectly on his face.

"hi, sorry," viv apologizes as she reaches the end of the staircase.

sean's face suddenly lights up as he sees her.

"no it's fine," he says, still in awe by her appearance. "you look great, by the way."

they wave goodbye to nat and lexee and head to sean's car.

"they grow up so fast," nat jokingly pretends to wipe a tear from her face, leaning her head on lexee's shoulder.

"so...what's the plan for tonight?" vivian asks while adjusting her dress.

"two places, actually," he says as he opens the car door for her. "i couldn't decide, so both it is."

he turns on the radio, and 'electric' by alina baraz plays.

"we could go to the county fair? everyone's going to be there, and i'm pretty good at carnival games," sean brags, starting the engine of the car.

"is that so?" she smirks. "then you can get me any prize i want?"

"i think i can," he replies confidently.

they reach the fair and are met by the bright neon lights of the carnival rides from the ferris wheel to game booths to the haunted house.

they walk over to the ticket booth, still keeping their hands intertwined.

sean purchases fifty tickets and vivian immediately drags him over to the games.

she scans the several rows of games, considering the various options and types of prizes.

"let's start off easy," she finally decides, walking them over to the ring toss whose prizes include random playing cards.

"psh, i got this," sean jokingly starts to stretch.

he grabs the three rings and aims it for the bottles. he takes a deep breath and flings it towards his target. the first lands perfectly, followed by the second and third.