chapter fourteen

february twenty-six ; day twelve

"where's sean?" viv interrupts whatever the group of josh, julian, kenneth, and gabe were talking about.

josh glares at julian as if he's waiting for him to explain everything.

the two haven't spoke since though are still hanging out in the same area as if nothing was wrong on the outside. josh has tried distancing himself but found it to be difficult when he realized they shared all of the same friends since middle school.

"i haven't seen him in a while, maybe he's got the flu?" kenneth answers first, filling the awkwardness that josh and julian were putting out.

"you sure? he hasn't told you guys anything? josh? julian?" she turns to the two.

julian avoids her gaze and shakes his head.

"that doesn't sound like him," viv starts. "i'm gonna go visit him."

vivian starts walking to the gate of the school, rushing because first period starts in five minutes.

"you're going to skip school for sean?" gabe yells out.

"yep!" she turns back while still speed walking. "cover for me, please!"

and with that, she's off campus and headed for sean's.

"she never skips school for anything," kenneth says to the group.

"what has sean done to her?" gabe jokes.

the bell rings for the school day to begin, and the boys separate their ways.

/

viv knocks on the door for what feels like ten minutes with no answer.

"sean, where are you?" she sighs.

just as she is about to go back to her car, she turns around and heads for his backyard. she climbs the ladder and finds sean staring at his ceiling, earphones blasting.

"sean?" she says as she enters the window.

he had clothes, empty water bottles, and takeout boxes sprawled across the room. not to mention, it smells like something actually died inside.

"oh fuck!" sean falls off his bed in surprise. he stumbles for a bit until he finally stands up and straightens himself out. "w-what are you doing here?"

"what are you doing here?" she shoots back. "you haven't gone to school for the past three days."

he takes out his earphones and walks towards vivian who looks very unimpressed with his current situation. he's wearing grey sweatpants and a shirt with five stains of different foods from soy sauce to chocolate to orange juice.

"the thing is," he pauses and runs his hands through his hair. "i got expelled."

"WHAT?"

sean nods and goes back to sit on his bed, motioning for viv to sit next to him.

"i don't understand...why? you're not the troublemaking type," she carefully scans the face of the tired boy. "did you get into a fight or something?"

he sighs, "it was something stupid. i copied this essay from julian's brother a while back."

"sean!" she scolds. "you didn't even bother to change a few words - even the title maybe?"

"i know, i know. it was stupid,"

"and they expelled you just like that? no warning whatsoever?"

he nods.

"that doesn't seem fair at all..." her voice fades away.