chapter ten

february nineteen ; day five

it's nine in the morning when sean finally wakes up with a raging hangover. all the memories of last night come rushing back to him all at once.

his head is pounding like there's no tomorrow. he rubs his eyes and attempts to stand up but ultimately fails.

"fuck," he says under his breath.

he can only imagine how vivian must feel.

oh right..vivian slept over. he turns to his bed to see she's no longer there, only sheets and pillows.

he is finally capable of standing and slowly walks to his door, which is still locked. he looks around to realize she must have used the ladder to leave earlier.

he goes to lie on his bed and finds the pillow wet. he realizes she must have been crying when she was asleep.

he sighs, remembering his awful deal with james. everything would have been perfect for them if james was never in the picture.

but he was, and sean had to deal with that. there was only one thing he had to do.

he quickly brushed his teeth, washed his face, then changed into new clothes. he grabbed his car keys and drove to his destination.

once he arrived, he knocked on the door - so hard that it seemed like it was going to fall down.

"sean lew..?" a tired james answers, rubbing his eyes. he clearly had just woken up. "what brings you here?"

"i can't do this anymore," sean admits. "i can't hurt vivian like that...she's been hurt too much."

james arches an eyebrow and stares at sean.

"hurt by what?" james scoffs, as if he didn't already know he was the reason why.

sean looks at the boy and realizes he was not what he thought he was.

"you can't back out, we made a deal," james harshly adds.

"but–"

"thirty days, lew," james interrupts then slams the door in sean's face.

he wouldn't actually get me expelled..right?

sean wasn't so sure now. he walks back to his car and repeatedly slams his face into the steering wheel.

"what hell did i get myself into?" he screams. fortunately, no one is around.

"she doesn't have to know..." he mutters then starts driving.

the roads are clear, and he speeds home which is a fifteen minute drive.

"everything is real for me...everything," he sighs. "and that's all that matters."

he reaches home and remembers the insane amount of homework he still has to do. if he didn't want to get held back, he definitely needed to work on his procrastination issues.

after five hours of doing homework, he decides to visit julian. luckily, it was only a two minute walk from his house.

"sean!" julian welcomes his best friend inside. he's wearing sunglasses in his house, obviously still trying to get over his hangover.