Runner Up

Namjoon saw you walking back and forth with your worrying face. Suddenly you realize his stare and happily walk to him.

"Namjoonie!!" You yelled quietly and cling to his arm.

"What are you doing here back and forth with that ugly face?" He flashed you his smile and you pout at his word, although you know he just teasing you.

"I was looking for Yoongi. Does he still busy?" You continue and his expression turn darker.

"Yes, of course he is busy, he will never make time for you like I did." He thought and he almost say it, but he come back to his sense soon.

"I think so. Umm, have you told him that you'll coming here ?" He asked you, trying to cover his disappointment.

"Umm, yeah I told him earlier that I will come for dinner with him but he told me he can't promise, because he has lots of works to do still." You said and looking down. "Oh! Namjoon! Are you free now? Let's go for dinner?" You suddenly look bright and smile to him.

He look down to you, and he feel his heart beating fast. Yes, he fall in love with you, hard, but you never know because you only look at Yoongi, your boyfriend.

You and Namjoon are only bestfriend, at least that's what you thought, but it never same goes to Namjoon. He's in love with you ever since he knew you, and same goes to Yoongi.

Both of them fell for you and compete to win your heart righteously, and Namjoon give in once he knew you fell for Yoongi too. He decided to step away but he can't do much since 3 of you are bestfriend, and he also work in a same company with Yoongi.

He tried hard to get rid of you from his mind, but he totally failed because every time you turn to him because Yoongi wasn't there for you, he couldn't help but say yes.

"Sure..?" He said more like questioning his self, while you yell happily,

"Great! You're the best Namjoonie!!" You grin and grab your phone to tell Yoongi that you will go dinner with Namjoon, he usually don't mind because he trust you and he's not that protective type.

"Yeah, I'm the best but you still choose that workaholic over me." He whisper in sorrow.

"Let's go, what you wanna eat?" You asked.

"Whatever you want." He answered.

And this kind of situation is not only happen once but most of the time, you will spend your day with Namjoon instead of Yoongi, your own boyfriend. It's been a year for Namjoon to fill Yoongi's spot to accompany you whenever you need, but still you only look at Yoongi.

Today is weekend and you really want to go out so bad, you called Yoongi but as usual he said he couldn't make it, then you called Namjoon, also as usual he can't say no to you. He come to pick you up and go to have some dessert since it's summer.

He looks happy to spent time with you but everything end when your phone ring. Your smile appear once you saw the caller ID and that's when Namjoon's smile turn into frown.

"Yeah babe?" You picked up the call happily while Namjoon just sulking. From your conversation he know who you're talking to.

"Namjoon ah! Yoongi said something happen so he's free now, he will come join us! You don't mind right?" you start with a puppy eyes.

"Sure. Why not?" He said faking a smile.

Not long after it, Yoongi come and sit beside you. He hug you and peck your temple. You smile and blush at his touch didn't realize that Namjoon is staring.

"Sorry I'm late. How is my babe doing? And thank you Namjoon to accompany her whenever I can't." Yoongi said.

"It's nothing." Namjoon said and fake another smile. "Good job Namjoon, you're so good at lying." He thought to him self.

He watch the lovebirds, and how you looking at him and your eyes light up with that subtle grin. He love to see that smile of yours but the reality that it's not him the reason behind your smile hurt him bad.

"Namjoon ah, we're going somewhere now, you want to join?" You asked him and woke him from his daydreams.

He look at both of you and fake another smile, "No, thanks. I still need to do something. Just, take care. Both of you." He said hesitantly.

"See you later Namjoon." Yoongi said and hold your hand happily walk away left Namjoon all alone.

"Ha~~" he let out a sigh and smiling to himself while shaking his head, "at least you don't have to fake a smile no more." He mumbled and walk out from that place.

He doesn't want to go back home yet, he walk around, watching people and couple generally. Somehow they makes him envy, and of course how he wish he could be like that with you, but his wish totally crashing on his feet when he knew clearly you're not his.

After clear his mind, he totally know what he should do. He called his manager that night.

"Namjoon, are you sure about this?" He asked not believing.

"I am so sure, Hyung. Doesn't you always push me to going there? You said it's better for me to be there right?"

"But you always refused my idea all over this time, why suddenly?"

"Just.... order the plane ticket, can I leave tomorrow morning?"

"Y... yes you can. Everything have been settled since I asked you back then. So, deal then? L.A for tomorrow?"

"Yes, L.A." He said.

---

2 days later you're going to Yoongi's company again, and he was still busy like usual, so you decided going to Namjoon's room, but it was locked and dark. When you try to look at inside, someone tap your shoulder, you turn around and there is his manager standing there.

"Looking for Namjoon?"

"Yeah, does he absent today?" You asked after bow to greet him.

"He didn't tell you?? Oh! I almost forgot, he left this letter for you." He said as he pull out a letter for you.

"W... what? Tell me what? Letter? For me? Why? Where he is now?" You asked in panic tone.

"He's in L.A now. He left 2 days ago, and he told me to give you this. He will start working there in our branch company in L.A. I've been promote it to him months ago, but he always refused, but that night he called me in midnight saying he want to go, so..." he said and you can't help but nodding and thanks him for his information.

Once he left, you took a sit in nearby sofa and start to open the letter. You gasp in shock, your eyes start to teary at what he wrote and realize that you've hurt him a lot.

Finally you realize that he really fall for you but you don't know. You just keep hurting him everytime you came to him. You read back at some line that hurt you the most as your tears start falling,

I really wish I could make you happy but your heart clearly is not with me. Now I refuse to be your back up plan, when you've already got a man. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you this directly because I can't stand seeing your face, I'm afraid I won't be able to say it again. Actually I don't want to say goodbye but I've gotta move on with my life. You've made a choice and now I've gotta make mine. I won't be your runner up."

"I'm sorry Namjoon, I'm sorry." You keep saying although he couldn't hear it.

Theme Song: Runner Up by Jason Chen -