Chapter 12

His eyes felt so drowsy as he woke that early morning... in a bed that wasn't his own.

Nick froze up, the minute consciousness dawned on him and jumped up on the messy bed, realising quickly.

"Oh no..."

He looked beside him to see there wasn't anybody there though, but heard singing of a female's voice in the shower in the room next door.

Nick pulled an urgent face. What had he done...? He knew he had done something as he wasn't wearing any clothes... and he knew who that something was.

Suddenly images of the night before hand flashed in his eyes. The blue and purple lights, the alcohol, the sweet taste of lips.

He quickly hurried out of the bed as he looked around the floor for his clothes, and only saw Clara coming out of the shower with a towel on.

"Hey, officer..." she said with a wink and did a small sultry flash of her thigh that had been hidden behind her towel. Nick blushed madly at the sight, feeling more devastated in himself, "Why are you off so soon?"

"I have w-work..." Nick stumbled to get out and she pulled him an unconvinced look. She watched as he began putting on his pants, but couldn't help catch another gaze at her curves hidden in the towel and he had to ask, "Look, I'm not looking for anything..."

"Says the guy who couldn't get enough of me last night?" Clara said back with a roll of her eyes. Nick frowned.

"Hey, I just had a little too much to drink..."

Clara gasped shocked, and said to him. "You had two brandies, Nick."

"Damn, I'm a light weight..." he uttered to himself and went to put on his shirt, but got a piercing pain in his shoulder from his quick snappy movements. He groaned from the aching in his arm.

"So I guess we won't be in touch, then?" Clara asked straight out, tapping her foot to the ground and Nick was reminded of Judy when she did that.

His heart seemed to be on fire then at the thought of her... of Judy. He loved her so much. And instead of taking her call last night to talk and make up... he had just went for a hare that looked so much like her, the rebound was so obvious it sickened even him.

"I'm sorry... but... I'm..."

"Oh my God." Clara said just then, and her towel dropped off her as she took this in. Nick's eyes opened wide as he stared at her attractive body without control. "You have a girlfriend... I feel like such a effing fool!"

"No... I don't." Nick said quickly, tying his tie and coming over to her, picking up her towel and holding it out to her with his two paw fingers awkwardly. "She doesn't... love me back..."

"Oh, so this is just rebound sex?" Clara had to ask and Nick's ears dropped down worried. Before the hare just said with a shrug of her shoulders, "Well, you're missing out on a great catch. But I understand... It's happened to me too... before."

Clara sighed, as old memories played in her mind of an old fling. She saw Nick look at her, lost, and she gave a soft laugh, adding.

"Do you need a lift back to your place?"

"Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm feeling more awkward about this than you."

"Aww." Clara said, putting her paw up to his cheek and squeezing it, an adorable smile on her lips. "You are so cute... shame you don't want to get coffee sometime."

"I really have to go..." Nick just said and headed out of the room to the exit. All he could feel was his heart beating in panicky thumps against his chest. Had he really done this? Had he just given up on Judy without even admitting to her straight out his feelings.

He stood in the elevator of the apartment block as it descended down and just felt like a lesser fox inside.

The worse part about it was that he couldn't even remember the sex.