Chapter 15

As she reached her paw to the ledge of the cliff, Judy almost felt she couldn't climb anymore. She had climbed for an hour and a half. Her body dying again from starvation. But the torment, the torture of what she had done was still deeply cutting into her very being.

She finally pulled herself up onto the ledge, panting in exhaustion. And what did she do the moment she was up there again on the highway, panting and hoping each breath wouldn't be the last?

She cried.

She. Cried.

Tears toppled down her face, as she curled up into a ball and just cried with nothing else in her but pain and regret.

She had caused it... she had c-caused it!

All those lives, gone... all those animals down below... disintegrated... dead. She was meant to help animals. But she had just destroyed thousands of lives.

What was she? She begged to ask herself as she lay on the ground, her voice choked and her words not able to come out. What type of creature was she now?

A murderer.

Their blood was on her paws... her curiosity and determination had killed.

She just lay there, dribbling out incoherent words, until in the distance she saw a light flashing. In was afternoon now in the day, around six o clock, and the sun was setting an orange light across the cliffs.

She didn't care what the light was. If it was a car she deserved to get hit and killed. She was public enemy number one. She was the true savage beast.

She didn't watch. The lights appeared to belong to a van. She only lay there cold and alone, as it pulled up next to her.

"Judy..."

She heard that kind voice but shut her eyes, tears only streaming down her cheeks, and she felt Pete rock her back upright into a sitting position as the male rabbit begged.

"Judy... why did you take my van? What was that text about? What is going on?"

"It's all over..." Judy said, her heart quaking as she thought of the one she had tried to do this all for. Nick... the footage was going to be shown. It was going to get out the wrong truth. He never killed those apes. He was innocent and now his evidence was gone... countless lives gone.

"What's over?" Pete asked, helping her up, and she stumbled forward weakly. Her arm slung around his neck as he brought her over the van and placed her in the passenger seat.

She sat there, her face blank. Her mind completely numb and Pete started up the car. He asked.

"What did Nick do? Why do you have to arrest him?"

He had still remembered the text. Judy just said in a faint dead voice.

"All he did was sell under the counter drugs to some primates. It was Walter Alpha who took their lives."

"What?"

"It's all gone... he destroyed it all..." Judy whispered in utter loss. "Because of me... b-because of me."

"You tried to prove Nick innocent." Pete said to her, quickly. He looked at her then back at the highway as he drove back to the city and continued. "You were the hero."

"I am the villain!" Judy just cried, and slammed her fists into the dashboard, tears splashing down her face. "Now, there's no hope... this is the last day. The third day."

"I just..." Judy began, swallowing, as her voice was shaky and choked up. "I-Just-Want-To-Tell-Him-He-Is-Innocent"

"Do you want me to take you to his apartment?"

"He will be working city central t-tonight..."

"Oh ice-cream nuts..." Pete said. That part of the city had the most screens.