Chapter 2

Nick walked in casual steps up to the startled bunny and pat her on the shoulder, asking.

"Bunny Cakes? You okay?"

Judy seemed not able to move, as her bunny eyes examined the stranger just before her. Her nose twitched, her ears were raised up high, and she seemed for once in her life, unable to move.

"Judy?"

Nick felt a lump in his throat before turning to Pete, who was also frozen stiff, and the fox said, as unrudely as he could.

"Excuse me, Mr rabbit."

"Actual my name is Peter Wabbit."

"Okay,"

"Peter Wabbit?" Judy said in a quiet voice and Pete nodded slowly, continuing.

"Yeah, but my friends call me Pete."

"Pete?" Nick said and then Pete hesitated, laughing nervously as he put his hand behind his head and added.

"Well, they would... If I had any around."

"Okay..." Nick said, feeling like this Pete was kinda creepy now and Pete quickly seemed to realize what he said and instantly shot his paws up to correct them.

"No, what I mean is... I come from a small town originally, and I just moved here... and oh jeesh... I probably sound like a weirdo."

"We like to help everyone here." Nick said quietly, politely, but inside his mouth his teeth were grinding, as Judy hadn't said anything and was still looking at the bunny with eyes of curiosity, puzzlement.

"Weirdo?!" She finally spat out and Pete looked up at her, freezing as he thought she was making fun of him. Judy seemed to snap out of her paralysis and continued, "Sir, Pete, there are no weirdos in this city... you can be whatever you want to be. And you, Pete, are not a weirdo."

"Really?" Pete had to make certain and Judy quickly nodded her head, looking at him with huge gaping eyes and said.

"Yes."

"Judy, we need to get started on this case soon."

Judy twitched a little, looking at Pete, and smiled at him quickly, before zooming over to the vending machine. She jammed money into the slot, got ten carrot protein bars and dashed back to Nick, saying urgently.

"Okay, let's go, these should keep me awake for the whole night. This is going to be done!"

"That's the spirit, apple of my eye." Nick said, literally feeling like his heart was crushing and Judy began walking back to their office when Nick shouted to her.

"Judy."

"Yes, Nick?"

Nick paused for a second, before sighing and turning around to stare at Pete.

"Good day to you, Peter."

"It's Pete."

"Yeah... you should probably leave unless you want to get fined for harassing an officer."

"Oh, um..." Pete said quickly, looking about urgently in case anyone saw that he had done anything wrong and nodded his head, saying with a big nervous smile. "Right, well thanks for everything, officer."

"No, thank you." Nick said quietly and began to walk away too after Judy, muttering under his breath as he felt a jabbing pain in his heart, "Thank you... so much."

xxxx

In the police cafeteria, Judy was devouring the snacks like they were nothing, eating five in five minutes and Nick could sense that she was extremely anxious.