And I'm not going to sacrifice myself

Chapter 23 Owe You Nothin’ by Robin Loxley

Chapter 23 
Owe You Nothin’ by Robin Loxley

                The blankets on my hands are soft, and my neck cracks as I struggle to pull myself up into a sitting position. My neck burns, as does my back and my hands, and everything on me.

                “Let me guess, it’s been about 18 hours?” I open my eyes, and squirm back in the bed when I don’t see Jared.

                Where am I? Who is this? What is going on?

                “Relax.” He tells me. “My name is Dr. Whale. You are in a hospital.”

                I look to my left, and notice the large monitor hooked up into my arm. My skin pulls as I rip out the monitor, and he moves in closer to me.

                “Don’t-“

                “Where are my boys?” I ask, swinging my legs out of bed. My feet hit the ground and I wince tightly, before I manage to pull myself up.

                “Sit down, or you’ll rip the stitching.” The Doctor tells me. “You shouldn’t be up yet.”

My clothing is folded on a chair, and I’m only in a hospital gown. I quickly pull the pants on over my legs, but realise my sweater is gone. They probably had to rip it apart.

“That’s not the first time someone has told me that, and I’m alright.”

Who isn’t alright? We were on a peer, and my stab wound reopened, and Alex was bleeding out, and Elizabeth was burnt.

Devin was dead.

Peter is dead.

I move myself out of the room, as the Doctor follows after me. He tries to grab my arm, but I rip it out of his grip. If he grabs me again, I will find the dagger in my pocket and shove it in his face.

When I reach down for the weapon, I realise it is gone.

I round the corridors, until I find a waiting room. Jared sits down in a chair with his head in his hands, and Harry sits next to him with his head on a chair. As I look around, I see Blaize sleeping, curled into a ball in the corner. No one else is here.

“Guys,” I move closer to the two boys, who look up at me before sharing a look with each other.

Jared races up, pulling me into a hug, as Harry moves behind him towards me. I wince as they pull me in tightly, and I ignore the Doctor’s protests behind me.

“Here,” Harry takes off the sweater that covers his arms, revealing a soft grey t-shirt beneath it. He throws the red material to me, and I thank him before ripping the smock off and throwing the sweater on.