When We Breathe

Chapter 13

They bandaged my hand rather tightly, and I miss Jared's delicate touch. Even Elizabeth, though she is rather angry at me, would have been gentler than Emma. I can't say I'm complaining though, and I can't say she did it wrong. I would've done the bandages just as tight if I had been replacing them for the third time.

See, I keep bleeding through. So much so, that these ought to be replaced too. I don't feel like incurring the wrath of the so called 'Savior' so I'll suffer in silence at least for now.

​While I fiddle with the bandage, they fiddle with a plan to trap a Lost Boy. I got excused from tying lengths and lengths of vine in circles since I can barely even move my fingers, but they however did not.

​"You really think one of those boys would betray their king?" Killian demands.

​"I mean, this girl did so who's to say there isn't anyone else?" Mary Margret asks shortly. "David, we are low on vines."

​"Got it," he answers, beginning to move off and beckoning for the pirate to follow after him.

​"Why do I need to go?" The Captain snarls.

​I still don't trust that man. Not after what he did to Rufio. Not when he claims he has no idea who I am. Something is definitely amiss with that Captain.

​"Killian." Emma shakes her head. "Just go."

​He bows, sticking out his gleaming hook. "If the Lady insists."

​"I'll go too." I stand up, moving to follow them.

​Emma shakes her head. "No you won't, you can't even move your hand."

​My eyes meet hers, and for a second we glare at each other. She trusts me, even though she can feel deep down inside there is something wrong about me, while I wait to challenge her to a fight. She is the one with the magic to spot a liar, while I am the one with the power to lie. One wrong move on either of our parts and the other is going to die.

​I just hope it isn't me.

​"Please, leave those two alone?" I laugh. "They are bound to get in a fight."

​"Why do you say that?" Mary Margaret asks, pulling herself up off the ground.

​I shrug. "I've been around boys enough to know when they are about to get violent."

They leave the clearing, and it takes me a second to decide I'm following them. Nobody stops me, instead letting me pass. None of this is really helping them trust me at all, but it's a necessary evil.

​It takes me a minute to catch up to the two men as they dart off past me. My feet move along the ground as I try to get all the way up next to them. They must not even hear me behind them, and I struggle to eavesdrop on their conversation.

​That's when I watch David take a swipe at the Captain. I jog forward to help the man, but only see the Captain slowly lower him to the ground.

​"What the hell is happening?" I ask, stepping closer, watching as the Captain pulls a flask out of his pocket, dumping it on David.

​"Go back to the camp." He calls out at me.

​David coughs, waking suddenly and shoving the Captain off of him. He grunts on the ground, trying to breathe.

​"David, take my hand." The Captain insists to no avail.

​"I'm fine." He grunts, trying to raise himself off the ground without any help.

​"No you are not." I jump in. "What is going on?"

​"Go back to the camp, Charlotte." The Captain instructs, enunciating my name and every syllable in it like it is poison on his tongue.