When we held together

I'm not entirely sure if I'm able to move or not yet, I haven't tried. Why would I? Max is dead, and not because I couldn't save him, but because I wouldn't.

    I wouldn't save him.

    Felix killed him, only he didn't. It can't be his fault when he didn't light the flame. His target was me and the girls, just to make us scared. He wanted us to be scared so he could come in and save the day. Sure, he didn't care that Max was a causality, but it wasn't his fault.

    Not when I wouldn't save him.

    Should it be Blaize, since she set the fire? She didn't know Max was in the tent, which at least absolves her of the intention to kill him. If anything, she was actually trying to protect us.

    I wouldn't protect him.

    Gregory started it. He stabbed Blaize, tried to kill her anyway. He put his hands around her and tried to make the life bleed out of her. If he had wanted to kill Max, he could've. It would've been too easy for him.

    It's my fault.

    I couldn't save him.

    My eye twitches, and lightning shoots out my fingers, and I hear a snap and watch as a tree cracks and falls. It's heading towards me, but I don't move. I know I can, or else I wouldn't have magic flowing through me, but why bother. The tree hits the ground, only a foot away, a branch landing on my ankle.

    The pain is there, but I don't care. At least I can feel anything at all.

    Max won't be able to feel anymore. He's dead.

    I hear footsteps coming closer, but I don't care. I can't care. Maybe it's Felix, having decided he ought to finish me off once and for all. I hope it is, so I can kill him.

    I don't know that I'll fight back, but I've got to at least hope I might try.

    "Hey," I feel the hand on my shoulder, and I know who it is.

    I'd recognise that thick southern accent anywhere. It's Jared.

    "You're not still out, are you?" He moves around in front of me, until he's kneeling beside me. "I didn't think you were that small."

    I stare blankly at him, not daring to put any effort into actually looking at him. What's the point anyway?

    "I'm sorry," he begins the words, and though he means well I don't want to hear him. "I tried to save him, but..."

    He trails off, and his glossy eyes look away, deeper into the forest. Jared has never been able to look at dead boys, I can't imagine what seeing Max lifeless did to him. He had better get used to it since there is a war coming.

    "I know, he, he meant a lot to you." Tears trickle out his eyes, and he wipes them off, sniffing in the process. "But, so do you, to me, you know? I mean, we don't need another Robert. We can't have another Robert."

    I still can't help but stare into his green eyes, searching for meaning. Where is the meaning? There can't be any meaning to any of this.

    "I lost Rufio, again," he tells me, and his voice shakes and his eyes are rivers. "I lost my med assistant, both of them. I lost Harry, and Alex was never here to begin with. You can't leave too. There's no one left."

    It's just Jared and I now. Last I talked to Alex was the best I've seen him in a while. Still, he's never around, not like he used to be. Same goes for Harry, although I've only been civil with him once since the battle with the natives.