The Ride Home

"Promise you'd call?"

"Yes."

"Promise you'll eat enough?"

"I already do that."

"Promise you'll be careful when on the job?"

Judy groaned at her parents, "Mom, Dad."

The grey bunny rolled her eyes at the overly recited, protective mantra of her parents.

While Nick was getting the car ready, packing food for the road and other edibles to bring back to Zootopia, Bonnie and Stu had pulled their daughter aside for a little chat. 'Little' being an understatement.

"Now Judy," Bonnie said with a leveled tone, "We just want you to be safe."

"You're mother's right," Stu followed, "You know we're just looking out for~"

'And blah blah blah blah...'

Judy supressed the urge to roll her eyes, the feeling was strong, it definitely was. But she couldn't risk hurting both her parent's feelings.

"... And for me and your mother's peace of mind, we just hope that you take good care of yourself." Stu concluded.

"Of course dad." the grey bunny agreed, even though she merely heard a quarter of whatever her father had just said.

"And try to come back home if you have the time." Said Bonnie, "We miss you so much when you leave."

"Absolutely, Mom." Judy nodded.

"And bring Nicholas along with you," The older bunny added, "We've grown quite a liking for him."

"Of course." the young doe said, then glancing towards her car where she noticed that Nick was just about done packing the car. Also taking notice of her younger siblings watching the fox curiously.

"I should get to the car." the grey bunny said to her parents, "You can say goodbye to Nick and see us off."

"Glad to Bun-bun." Her mother replied affectionately.

Judy smiled before making her way to the car, her parents trailing behind her.

Nick had just packed the last food item into the car when he saw Judy coming his way with her parents. He put on a smile.

"Ready to go?" asked the fox.

The grey bunny nodded, "Yup."

Nick then focused his attention on her parents, "Mr. and Mrs Hopps, thank you for such a wonderful time," he held out his paw, intending to receive a pawshake, "You know, aside from the hostile ex-boyfriend and his deliberate attempt on our lives but you know, pluses and minuses."

Judy couldn't help but roll her eyes at her boyfriend's quip, though her parents didn't seem to mind as they ignored Nick's paw and pulled him into a hug. Nick was surprised, but did not turn away the affectionate gesture.

"Now you take care of our daughter, Nicholas." Bonnie said after she and her husband pulled away from him.

"Don't worry, Mrs Hopps. I'll keep an eye on her." Nick reassured her.

"Make sure she takes care of herself," Stu added, "You know how she gets with her job."

Nick nodded respectfully, "I'll personally see to that, Mr. Hopps."

Both parents smiled at the fox. Having been said everything that they had to say they didn't add anything further. Nick returned their smile before walking off, entering the car in the passenger's seat.