XXIV - Merry Christmas & A Happily Ever After

Off on this wonderful holiday, Dimitri woke up with excitement in his heart. The space in bed beside him was empty, as it'd been for some time now, but it wouldn't remain that way for long after today. It was Christmas, finally, and Kurt was currently on his way back to the US. Just a few more hours of this unbearable loneliness and he'd have the love of his life by his side again.

Sitting up in the spacious bed, Dimitri bundled the blanket around his body and sat there a moment. The curtains to the bedroom were closed, but when he reached for a remote that controlled the curtains and blinds, he pushed a button to open them and looked out. The skies above the city were still gloomy and dark, but his entire day wouldn't remain as such. The moment he laid eyes on Kurt, even with the cover of grey all about the sky overhead, it would be like the sky opened up and let the sun shine.

Grabbing his phone at the nightstand, he checked the time on the dimmed screen. It was just striking 9:00am, which meant Kurt was now only two hours away from being in front of him. Being the one picking the twenty-year-old up so they could then purchase tickets for another flight to Texas, Dimitri got up and got ready for the day.

After pulling on dark jeans, a white long-sleeved shirt, and a pullover navy blue hoody, he tied his hair back in a bun afterwards. Dimitri then hurried to prepare the gifts he'd bought for travel. With the present bags and tissue paper he had, he sat on the floor in the living room and made everything look nice. It was when he finished up putting together his father's Christmas bag when he thought of something. He'd been so focused on buying Kurt's engagement ring the other day, that he hadn't taken the time to get the younger man anything else as a present. Now that all the stores appropriate enough for buying gifts were closed, there wasn't anything he could do about that.

Hopefully his proposal would be enough.

When all the gifts for his parents were in order, Dimitri placed them by the front door so he wouldn't forget them, and then prepared a travel bag to take with him as well. By the time he finished all that, it was 10:00am, leaving him only one more hour until Kurt arrived. Since it would take just a bit of time to get to JFK, he gathered everything and locked up the condominium, and took a cab to the airport.

Since there wasn't as much traffic like on busier business days, it only took about thirty minutes to get there. Just as he'd suspected on this Christmas day, the crowds weren't nearly as thick as the usual holiday rush, but there was still a good amount of people getting ready to jump on flights of their own or coming off ones that just arrived.

Wasting time, Dimitri went ahead as well and bought noon tickets for him and Kurt, and then sat in the waiting area to pass the remainder of the time. In his head, he was busy going over what he should say when he proposed. Should he get down on one knee and let out all his feelings, go down a list of all the reasons why he loved Kurt, tell the younger man how perfect he was, or just get down and pop the question? He thought it would maybe add a little sweetness if he did pour his heart out, but what if he got so worked up during his speech that he chocked, or starting crying his eyes out?

Dimitri wasn't usually afraid of public speaking, but proposing in front of other people certainly wasn't like giving a speech in front of a group of his colleagues either. Fuck...he thought to himself, now he was beginning to feel the terror in his being rising. As he tried to wrestle his fears away, however, Dimitri decided on speaking from his heart. After everything Kurt has been through in his twenty years of life, he deserved to have someone who was strong enough to stay true to him, and that's exactly the person Dimitri wanted to be.

To perhaps get some of the nervousness off his mind, Dimitri texted his parents the time he was scheduled to leave, that Kurt would thankfully be joining him as well, and then went through his company email to review a couple emails he'd have to settle on the 27th since he was off the day after Christmas.