XXII - Fearful Phone Calls & Farewell Flowers

The moving process was a little stressful for Dimitri, especially since he was worried about his collectibles and figurines getting damaged. He was a grown man, yes, but that didn't take away from the fact that he cared a lot about his comic book heroes, and statues, and all his precious belongings winding up lost, stolen, or broken. Since Kurt was still very sore in some places, Dimitri insisted the younger man relax while him and the movers packed everything into the truck. Since he'd lived in this little Anavrin apartment for some time, he hadn't acquired too many pieces of furniture, and since they weren't going to be taking his old bed, the truck wouldn't be too overly crowded with things piled on top of each other. So far, all they were taking was the sofa, entertainment center, bookshelves, the dining table, and the dressers from his bedroom. He made a note for him and Kurt to go out in New York to find more things a little later.

Today, however, Dimitri and Kurt were going to be headed straight for NYC in just a couple hours. They'd be there before all the furniture arrived, but sleeping in a hotel together certainly didn't sound bad at all.

When all the packing was over with, Dimitri took a moment to type out a quick email to send to his previous boss Mr. Corbin. He thanked the man for hiring him years back, having faith in him to grow in the company, and expressed additional thanks to seeing great potential in him. After sending the email out, he tucked his thin laptop in a pocket inside his personal briefcase.

Since they'd already said their goodbyes to Sherrie and Attis the day before, there was no longer anything in Anavrin to miss. Well, Dimitri and Kurt surely would miss JoJo's café up the street, but they decided to search for a place to have drinks and quick meals soon after they were comfortable in the new city.

After a while, the couple left for the airport and were dropped off via cab. With their luggage onboard, they boarded the flight as well and said goodbye to Dimitri's home town. All in all, Anavrin, Texas had been good to him. The city in general. Even for a place down south, he didn't usually have those homophobic experiences one would think were all over the place in a state like Texas. He'd had a pretty decent childhood growing up in the city, enjoyed his schooling and previous friends, but saying goodbye to it all felt like entering a new and brighter chapter in his life. Beginning that chapter with Kurt by his side couldn't feel better.

On the plane, Dimitri and Kurt talked for a while about how they were going to spend the holidays, and it was during that conversation when Kurt's older brother Danny popped into his head. It'd been a little while since the last time he even thought of his older brother, and now that he was healing from the ordeal with Mick, there was a piece of Kurt that just wanted to connect with his family again. He thought of his parents, how disappointed they'd be if they could see the separation between him and Danny. Most of all, Kurt kind of just wanted to try putting the past behind him and never looking back. Besides, Danny had been beginning to understand how wrong he was to not believe him before. That's all Kurt had wanted, for his brother to see that Mick truly was the monster he'd made him out to be. Now, Kurt just wanted to connect with his brother and niece and sister-in-law in a way he hadn't previously.

After the death of their parents those years back, Kurt had shut himself off from Danny and his family, but now he hoped there was still time to mend what had shattered before.

Keeping his mental debate to himself for the remainder of the flight, Kurt managed to get just a little shut eye before the flight landed, and when it did...he suddenly felt overwhelmed just by the idea of being in New York. Since he'd spent a small portion of his life in London, he thought this place would be something pretty similar, and the moment he and Dimitri had their bags and were inside a cab...the traffic itself felt pretty familiar.

"Isn't there a tube?" Kurt asked, they'd been driving pretty slowly for a good several minutes.

"The subway?" Dimitri said, "I'm sure we will use it way more than actually driving my car when it gets here, but I think we'll definitely have to work on getting used to it before just jumping on. The last thing I want is to wind up lost."