THIRTY NINE

♡Matt's POV♡
------------------------------------

Will got stitches on her incision. She must have hit her head sometime in the car while I tried dodging the coyote. The doctor said to be back in three weeks for the removal of the stitches. He also gave her some painkillers in case of any pains.

We drove back home in silence. Will eventually fell asleep and I had to carry her in to the house. After carefully placing her on the bed, I took off her shoes and gave her a kiss just beside her incision. When I was sure she was all tucked in, I went downstairs to the lobby.

Margaret had already gone home since she only took the day shift. The night shift was taken care of by a young man in his late twenties. Roger was it? I walked up to him and ask him for the visitors book. I had to know who that Darcy was.

I instructed him to go through the list of names of people who had come to the penthouse and there was only one - my ex-fiancée - Daniella Nathaniel.

How could I have not guessed this? She lied to Will about her identity because she didn't want me to find out. But just how dense could she be?

"Thank you."

He shut the book then put it away. "Excuse me, Sir. A Miss Carmen Arma dropped this here. Said she wants me to ensure it's in your hands." He handed me a white envelope which I accepted.

I turned around and headed for the elevator, opening the envelope all the while. I saw a golden-colored card which I proceeded to read.

INVITATION TO INAUGURATION CEREMONY

This is to inform you that you have been invited to the inauguration ceremony in the Arma Mansion, marking the nomination of the new Chief Executive Officer of the Arma Corp.

Signed,
Mr. Edward Arma III

I shut my eyes and chuckled humorlessly under my breath. Leave it to my father to appoint you as CEO without even letting you know. Or send you an invitation to your own ceremony.

The elevator doors opened. I walked out of it, at the same time rummaged through the envelope to see if there was anything else. I found a piece of folded paper that read:

Dear Matty,

I rolled my eyes. Matty.

Surprise. Dad asked me to leave this for you. Also he said he wants to see you ASAP. Please don't argue with him or try doing anything obstinate. You two will set the house on fire.

Your lovely sister,
Carmen

Exactly what did he want with me now? I stuffed both the card and paper back into the envelope and flung it on to the table.

My life is about to get a lot harder.

*

The next blessed morning came and I had barely gotten any sleep. I was too busy worrying about my father and his shenanigans.

As I walked into the kitchen, I found Will frying some eggs with headphones stuck in her ears. She had no idea I was standing behind her, watching as she absent mindedly danced to whichever song she was listening to.

"All I wanna be, yeah, all I ever wanna be, yeah, is somebody to you," she sang along. I watched her sway her hips and nod her head to the beats, totally unaware of my presence.

A smirk drew itself across my face. Wow!

As Will turned the heat off and moved to get herself a plate so she could place her eggs on them, she saw me standing there, watching her like a creep. Her eyes turned wide as saucers and the spatula slipped from her hands, falling on to the floor with a clang. She stood, frozen, looking at me with a reddened face.

"Good morning," I smiled then opened the refrigerator to get some milk.

"M-m... morning." From the corner of my eye, I saw her place a hand on her hip and run the other through her hair. Was this her trying to act natural?

"You got up early today."

"I did." Swallow. "You want me to make you something to eat?"

"No thanks. I'll just get a glass of milk. My dad wants to see me." I shut the door of the refrigerator and moved towards Will. It was visible how she held her breath at my nearness. Once again she was like a statue, unable to move. I leaned closer to her and kissed her neck.

"I need a glass," I breathed on her skin. She shivered and let out a very, very low moan. It sounded so appealing. How could such little things turn me on?

"Oh," she swallowed as realization dawned upon her. She shifted to the side and I got the glass I needed.

*

With reluctance: I drove to my father's house, I turned my car off, I got in. Everywhere was impeccably neat and as if my father had been expecting me - which he was - he sat in the living room.

"Matthew," his voice boomed when he saw me. "I actually thought you'd come much later than this."

"Let's just say I was dying to get this over with," I retorted with a fake smile.

"Forever incorrigible."

I sat across him on the white leather cushions of his magnificent seats and leaned my elbows against my knees. "Now, what do you want?"

"I believe you recieved the envelope I sent to you?"

"I did."

"And you went through it?"

"Yes."

"So you have no argument against my proposal?"

I chuckled. "Your orders you mean."

"Whatever you'd like to call it."

I leaned back. "I would've considered an argument if there was a point to it - which there isn't."

He laughed richly and I wanted to stuff my fist into his wrinkling face. "You're getting smarter by the day."

"Why else do you need me here?"

"Oh right. You see the ceremony will be exactly a week from today and within that period of time, I'd like to meet the fiancée of your choice since you refused Ms. Nathaniel."

I opened my mouth to protest but he cut me short.

"Bachelors don't make very good CEO's and the inauguration has to take place on that day because I've already sent out the invitations. Our family has a reputation to uphold. So I'm giving you a week to find a potentially marvelous wife and she will be introduced to all our family members."

I frowned at my father, unable to say a word. Fucking son of a bitch.

"But there's a catch." I cocked an eyebrow at him. "If I don't approve of her, you cannot marry her."

"What the fuck?!"

"Language Matthew," his voice rose an octave higher. A smirk was fixed on his face. "So choose wisely my son - or I'll make the choice for you."

----------------

It's official - I hate Matt's dad. Vote for this chapter if you hate him too. Until the next chapter.