EIGHT

"It is the unexpected that changes our lives."
-From quotesblog.net
------------------------------------------------------
I know I don't normally give quotes at the beginning of my chapters but I just felt it was necessary.

Carry on. Happy Readings!

------------------------------------------------------
♥Will's POV ♥
------------------------------------------------------

A week later...

I sobbed with my face in my hands, somewhat gathering the tears.

"Ms. Dame," the doctor said and I peered up to look at him. "I'm sorry for you're loss..."

That was all I heard. The rest of the doctor's ranting was dissolved by my whimpers. I cried my heart out, endlessly.

Twelve hours earlier...

"Will!" Aunt Dee screamed. "Wake up!"

"Okay," I mumbled and flipped over on my bed, pulling the comforter higher.

"Will!" I felt the cold sneak in as Aunt Dee stripped me off the warmth of my comforter. "Get up, will you? Your room is a mess. When was the last time you cleaned up?"

I rubbed my face with both hands. "About two months ago?"

"What?" I watched as both of her hands moved to her hips. "I will not tolerate such laziness, young lady. Now get your sleep head off that bed."

I grumpily rolled off my bed and landed on the floor with a thud. My Saturday morning was ruined. Aunt Dee wouldn't even let me sleep in. She wanted me to clean my room up and from the look of things, that would take me a century or two.

"Can I at least have some breakfast first?" I tried negotiating.

"Okay but immediately after you're done, you're cleaning your room."

"But I've got work by noon," I whined.

"Well if you don't want to be late, you better start cleaning early."

"Ughhh," I groaned while Aunt Dee left with a content look on her face. I had absolutely no way out of this one.

***

I had just finished a long five hour shift at Pearlie's and I was ready to go and get some good rest at home. Aunt Dee and I can order in some Chinese and we could eat while bonding over  Netflix.

I came to a halt while walking when I heard my phone ring. I pulled it out of my purse and looked at the caller ID - Unknown. I still decide to answer the call anyways.

"Hello?" I spoke.

"Is this Wilhelmina Dame?" the person, a man, at the other end  of the line asked.

"Yes. Excuse me who are you?"

"My identity is not the issue now. I'm afraid there's something more serious at hand."

"Is everything okay?"

"Do you know Ms. Delia Zane?"

"I do, she's my Aunt."

"Well, you've got to get down here real quick. She was part of a fatal road accident."

I felt all the blood drain from my face. Not my Aunt Dee.

I took a cab to the hospital. There was that numb feeling of disbelief inside me, coupled with shock and worry. My hands shook uncontrollably as I searched for the doctor, a certain Dr. McClure. After going up and down the hospital around for times, I finally found him.

"Please is my Auntie okay? Is she hurt?" The words stumbled out of my mouth while I struggled to stay strong.

"Ms. Dame, please, calm down. Your aunt will be fine. She sustained a few injuries but everything can be fixed."

Another man in a uniform walked up to Dr. McClure. "Sir you're needed for the surgery to commence," he whispered.

"Surgery?" I exclaimed. "How badly injured is she?"

Dr. McClure looked reluctant as he said, "There's some internal bleeding going on but like I said it's nothing serious."

"Are you kidding me? Her life is at stake. She could die from internal bleeding-"

"We know, ma'am. I need you to stay put okay? Pray for Aunt. All will be well." He turned around and walked away while I stood there watching his back as my emotions doubled.

I didn't know how long the surgery was supposed to take. I lost track of time as I remained in the hospital with my face buried in my palms. It was dark outside and eventually I began to realize the surgery was taking too much time.

Something must have gone wrong, I thought. Shouldn't they be done by now? The worry I felt turned into sadness. Immense sadness. And before I knew it, I began weeping.

Dr. McClure sauntered towards me and I saw the look on his face. A triumphant doctor never wore that look. And I wasn't stupid - I knew the difference between a tired face and I remorseful face.

I peered up at him with eyes glazed with tears. His shoulders were hunched as he said, "We did all we could. The injury was more complex than we expected. Your aunt fought. She's strong, a fighter." He remained silent, knowing I had already figured it out.

I didn't have it in me to scream, break down. There was that hope I was holding unto. Maybe he was playing a trick... a terrible one.

"Ms. Dame, I'm sorry for your loss..."

And his voice drowned out by the sound of my sobs. It wasn't a trick.

------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much you guys for the views and votes. It means the universe to me!

Btw, sorry for the sudden loss of life. I just felt that the story needed to be focused more on Matt and Will and this was the only way.

Vote, comment and share!