The Alpha Effect

"People, your attention please. I'd like to start this meeting with a reading from the Book of Paul."

Every person in the room looked up from their gadgets with bewildered expressions on their faces.

Sam was the only one who spoke up.

"Reen, are you seriously going to read from the Bible?"

Koreen Medina, current Operations Manager, smirked and rolled her eyes.

"Duh. No. I'm going to read an e-mail that our client, Paul Mc Cormack sent to me yesterday which is basically a verbal ass-chewing because of our dismal numbers. And I quote, 'whip your team into shape Koreen or I will be forced to demand for a top to bottom reshuffle' end quote."

A nervous tension filled the air as everyone digested the severity of the situation.

It was Dei who broke the tense silence.

"Are we having food served here or kanya kanyang kuha ng snacks sa vendo?"

The entire room erupted in relieved laughter. Dei felt a squeeze on her knee and looked to her right just in time to see Jay give her a smile and a wink.

The meeting went smoothly after that with each key person contributing insights and strategies to help bring up their team's performance.

Right before everyone was dismissed, Koreen turned to speak to Dei.

"Dei, since your boss isn't here today, could you relay everything we've discussed to her? Tell her that I'd like to see the trainers on the floor during nesting. And that starting today, those without assigned waves will be required to report to the prod floor for half their shifts."

"Sure thing, Reen. Will email Georgia about today's minutes right away."

"Thanks. Alright people, time to buckle up. Yung mga uuwi na, uwi na. Those whose shifts are just starting, go earn your paychecks. Jay, Julian, please stay. I have a few more things I'd like to discuss with you."

Jay turned to Dei and motioned for her to wait for him outside. She smiled and nodded to tell him she understood before heading back to the trainers' bay.

Julian watched the subtle exchange between the two then turned to speak to Koreen.

"Reen, correct me if I'm wrong pero diba bawal ang fraternization dito sa office? If I remember correctly, that's against company policy."

Koreen looked up from her laptop with a scowl on her face.

"Sexual harassment is also against company policy, Julian. I'll be happy to report Faulkerson here for having a relationship with Mendoza if you're okay with me reporting you for using your position to intimidate some female agents into going out with you. Ano? Game?"

Julian sat down, barely contained contempt etched on his face while Jay burst out laughing then leaned over to give their boss a high five.

"So... if you're done being a sore loser, I'd like to further discuss the trainers' additional roles, their schedule and team assignments. Faulkerson, merong wave si Mendoza ngayon?"

Jay shook his head.

"Her last wave just graduated from nesting, I think. I'll check with Dei and Georgia na rin when she gets back. Why?"

"I'm thinking of giving her an additional role. Since almost everyone on this account adores her, I want to take advantage of it. Siya muna ang magiging coordinator between you guys, the team leads and the trainers. She will, however report directly to me."

Jay gave Koreen a thumbs up before turning to Julian.

"Ikaw brad, are you okay with that set up?"

Instead of giving an answer, Julian glared at both Jay and Koreen, stood up and lef the room without another word.

Jay chuckled.

"Anong problema nun?"

"Don't take his tantrums lightly, Jay. Iba rin takbo ng utak niyan. I'm working on getting a replacement for him but in the meantime, watch your back. And Dei's too."

*•*•*•*

Author's note: This is unbeta'd AND written under the influence of soup. My apologies. Also, if you've noticed, I have been slowly changing my book covers. There is a reason for this which I will share with you hopefully soon.

PS. I'll be posting an update regarding CHEESE soon. I appreciate the patience, truly.