Redox

He was running late thanks to a meeting that just wouldn't end. He hurriedly locked down his station and all but ran to the waiting elevator. He had one foot in when he heard someone call his name.

"Faulkerson, wait up. Do you have a minute? I need to discuss something with you."

He had no choice. There were other people in the lift, all waiting for him to get on. Reluctantly he stepped back out and hoped the next one would come soon.

"Ayun na oh. Taragis. Can't it wait? I need to be somewhere in the next 20 minutes. Hindi ba pwedeng bukas na yan? Sorry, Sam. I just really need to leave now. Ayokong ma-late."

"Fine. We can talk while you wait for the next lift. I'm guessing you heard of the impending reshuffle? An account pulled out so may isang buong team na magiging floating. As per Reen Medina, we will be absorbing more than thirty people."

He looked at his watch and knew he wasn't going to make it to his dinner date with Dei in time.

"Tangina yang si Medina, ang pabida talaga. Thirty people? How the hell are we going to do that? We're not understaffed. Walang queueing issues that need urgent addressing. Saan ko isasaksak yung mga bagong tao?"

Before Sam could get another word in, Jay took his cellphone out and lifted a finger to shut his friend up.

"One minute. I just need to--- Hi Love, I'm going to be a little late. Kasalanan ni Gogna. Sapakin mo bukas. Are you on your way? I'll try and be just a few minutes late. Punish me na lang when I get there. Hahaha! Whatever you want to do to me is fine. Okay? Text me your uber details. Ingat ka. I love you."

Sam made quiet gagging sounds while pretending to strangle his own neck the entire time Jay was on the phone.

"Love? I love you? Punish? Kingina mo Faulkerson, pumapag-ibig ka na talaga."

The smug look on Jay's face said it all.

"Fuck off. I'm happy. Now tell me what you need to tell me so I can finally go see my girl."

"Isa lang naman ang kailangan mong malaman eh. Consider this your heads up. We're not just absorbing prod people. We're getting three trainers, five senior team leads and another assistant prod manager. Will you fucking stop pounding on that button? Hindi yan turbo na magpapabilis ng dating ng susunod na elevator!"

Jay gave Sam the dirty finger before going back to repeatedly pushing on the elevator call button.

"So? How is that my problem? Do I have to share my office with someone? Ayos lang. Malaki yung space. It's meant to be shared by at least four people. Are some of my tasks getting reassigned to the new APM? Mabuti naman. Ano, meron pa ba?"

"Si San Jose yung bagong AMP."

He stopped pushing the button.

"Amputa."

"Exactly."

*•*•*•*

Author's note: Tulog si Silent_Shipper kaya walang nagbeta nitong chapter na to. Siya sisihin niyo sa mga nagkalat na grammatical errors. Charot. Heniwey, pagkagising niya tsaka ko na lang aayusin to. Orayt? Orayt!