Litmus

He's known as the Terror Team Lead and she was the new agent assigned to his team.

He was uptight and serious. She was easy-going and loved to crack jokes.

He kept mostly to himself. She was everyone's best friend.

They were a study in opposites. Like two volatile chemical solutions.

It was just a matter of time.

She was just wrapping up her last call for the night when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She quickly turned around only to come face to face with someone's crotch.

"Ahem. Eyes up here, Mendoza. Set your AUX to Coaching after that call then go to my station. Bring your headset."

She signaled that she understood, a friendly smile on her face despite the initial awkwardness. She watched him as he walked back to his station and waved at him when he caught her looking.

A few minutes later...

"I'm ready for my session, Bes! Where do I sit?"

His head whipped up from the reports he was studying and glared at her.

"What did you just call me? Bes? My name is Richard. Your teammates call me Jay. I suggest you do the same."

"I call everyone Bes. You know, short for best friend?"

"I'm your team lead not your best friend. Now, sit down, shut up and take notes."

She remained standing, hip cocked to one side, arms crossed and eyebrows arched.

"I said si---"

"I heard what you said. Did you? Look, you may be my team lead but that doesn't mean you get to talk to me that way. Not even my father who has all the right to be the boss of me speaks to me like that. So... apologize first then I'll sit down."

He leaned back on his chair, crossed his arms and looked at her with an expression she can't quite place.

"Fine. I'm sorry. It's been a bad week. Sit down please so we can start your coaching and we can both go home."

"Okay, Betty."

"What now?"

"Betty. It's a bit like bes but better. Well, different. Basta, I'mma call you Betty from now on."

"Betty is a girl's name. Last I checked, I'm a guy."

"Nope. Betty is a level. Everyone can be my bes but only a select few can be my Betty. So... are we going to start talking about my KPIs or do you want me to keep explaining the finer details of Betty-dom?"

"But my name is Jay."

"I know, Betty. I know."

A few people were already watching them as they continued to look at each other with challenge in both their eyes.

He caved in first.

"Your CSAT is great but you need to work on your AHT. Sit down please so we can listen to some of your recent calls."

She smiled at him as she pulled up a chair and sat down.

A few stations away, a few hundred pesos changed hands.