FIFTEEN- Faking Grudges

Fifteen

Fifteen

FAKING GRUDGES

It didn't take long for Chris to come running down the stairs at the sound of Blake's voice. As soon as his eyes landed on Blake, he jumped into his arms, describing how much he missed him using stars, moons, clouds and all that kind of stuff. I walked past Blake to get a better look at Chris, and his eyes lit up almost instantly.

"Mommy!" He jumped into my arms, my body falling at the impact; Blake's hand touching my back ever so lightly as I regained my balance.

"I missed you, baby!" I told him, kissing his cheek

His grip tightened a bit more, "I missed you too, mommy." I brushed the hair out of his, putting him down so we could go in the living room.

Blake and I placed our bags beside the couch before taking a seat, with Chris between us.

"So, how was your day?" I asked him, his smile slowly becoming brighter. Before he has the chance to answer, Mrs Archer makes her way into the room, looking through her handbag in search of something.

"Hey, kids. I'm going out for a bit. Not sure when I'll be back, so don't wait up. There's lasagna in the oven; it should be done in ten minutes." She finally looked up as she finished talking. "Oh, hi Jackie"

I gave her a small wave and a smile. "Hi, Mrs Archer".

"I see Chris is very happy now" She chuckles as she notices Chris's smile. "Well, I really have to go now. You boys better not annoy Jackie too much alright?" The boys told her that they won't and then she left.

"So, how was your day Chris?" I asked him again. He sat up straighter as he told me all the fun he had today with Mrs Archer.

Blake was constantly on his phone the whole time, looking up every now and then to listen to what Chris was up to. He just continued to look at his phone with furrowed eyebrows.

Few minutes had gone by as Chris and I just talked. The delicious smell of lasagna started filling the room as my stomach grumbled. I got up from the couch and made my way into the kitchen. I looked through the drawers to find the oven mitts so I could take the lasagna out.

I'm not going to lie but it was kind of weird, to be honest. Never once in my life did I think that I would think of Blake's home like my own, or like aunties. It was a weird feeling but it was a nice feeling. A weirdly nice feeling.

Blake entered the kitchen and took the oven mitts out from a drawer, quietly handing them to me. He put his phone upside down on the counter as he started to set the table.

"Chris, wash your hands and come here!" Blake called.

I could hear tiny footsteps running towards the bathroom, then the sound of water running.