THREE - Hot Potato

THREE

Hot Potato

I storm into her room, angry with her sudden disappearance for the last couple of days.

"Gee Jackie, why so angry?" She questions with amusement.

"Why? Seriously?  You haven't been at school for five damn days and you have the audacity to ask me why?! You haven't answered any of my calls or texts and didn't even bother calling back!" She laughs at my anger.

"I'm sorry Jackie. I was visiting my parents and they had taken my phone" Lottie tells me.

"Still no excuse" I pout at her and fall face-first on her bed.

Charlotte (Lottie) Louise was my best friend and has been since we were one. Our parents were very good friends before her parents moved two years ago. In an ordinary world you would think that Lottie move with them but not wanting to switch schools, her parents had let her stay here in Rootsville with her Aunt Lisa Louise. Our families were quite close, to the point that I call Lottie's Aunt, Auntie (after hearing Lottie call her that numerous amounts of times)

"So how are your parents?" I ask her. Mama and Papa (Mr. and Mrs. Louise) were very nice people. With my dad working hard to get back up on his feet after my mom passed away, I had spent a lot of time at Lottie's place and her parents had become my second parents, I literally call them mama and papa. In fact, her whole family had become my second family.

"They're good. They were asking about you you know" She gets up from her desk, putting down the book she read, and makes her way to her bed, plopping down beside me. "I told them you missed them a lot and want to see them again. You should visit them."

Of course, I missed them. They practically raised me. My dad was a busy guy but he always made sure to make time for me, no matter what his schedule may be, but because of his busy schedule and my dad's trust in Louise's, I had similar morals as my best friend.

"I will" I smile at her.

"So what's been going on with you?" She asks as she opens her side drawer and takes out a stash of food.

"Oh, you know just the usual. Became a mom to a three-year-old kid and Blake happens to be the Dad. Just an everyday thing, nothing out of the ordinary" I reply while popping some candy in my mouth, making way to her closet and started to look for something nice, leaving her to debate with herself about whether I was lying or telling the truth.

"What are you talking bout?" I take out a black blazer, checking it out. When I don't give her a response, she snatches the blazer from my hand and pries to tell her the details. I go back to her bed to grab cookies, her in tow. "Jackie!"

"Ok, ok listen. When I went to school on Tuesday after my doctor's appointment" I told her every little bit and piece.

"So did the police find anything?"