TWENTY-NINE - Magical Nightmares

TWENTY-NINE

Magical Nightmares

"Mommy, daddy promised me ice cream" Chris pouted at me

"Ok, but only a little bit. It's late. You know you get nightmares if you eat too many sweets at night" I smiled at him, placing a kiss on his cheek as we walked towards the ice cream truck.

"But I have you and daddy to chase away all the bad dream monsters" He hugged me tightly, the noise of our pendants clicking against each other echoing throughout

"Mommy, do you love me?" He stares at me with hollow eyes, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Of course, baby"

"Then why aren't you with me?" he sniffled as black tears dripped through his eyes. A bruise on his forehead peeking through his hair. "I want to be with you, mommy!" He cried out as he vanished from my arms.

No, no! Chris! Come back!

I tried to scream but nothing came out. I wanted my baby. I wanted my child.

"Why did you leave me, mama?!" He cried out again.

I ran towards the voice, trying to chase him down. My bare feet slowly starting to bleed as blisters formed.

"I need you, mommy!" He cried out again. I ran faster, dripping in sweat, tripping over something tangling in my feet. I grab it to hold it up. It was the pendant, broken into pieces.

"Chris, baby! Please come back! I miss you!" I cried out to him, my voice finally taking my side.

"Save me, mommy!" He sounded like he was in pain.

"Magic necklace, I want my mommy and daddy! Magic necklace, I want my mommy!" The ice cream truck's music slowly increased, drowning out his cries. My breath gets caught in my lungs as I tried to focus on his voice, desperately trying to find a way to reach him.

I jolted awake, breathing heavy I took multiple deep breaths, looking around the room, trying to come to terms that it was indeed just a bad dream. The realistic feeling of it haunted me.

I checked the time on my phone, it was only three in the morning. The sun had not even come out yet. As I fell back on my bed, curling up into a ball, feeling restless. I grab a pillow from behind me, hugging it, hoping it would serve as some sort of replacement for Chris.

--

The students mingled in the hallway, excited to know that school would soon be ending. The sun was shining bright outside, yet my mood was the complete opposite that resembled more of a grey. A nasty feeling kept tugging at me at the bottom of my stomach as I leaned against my locker. The bags in my eyes were deeper than Mariana's trench, having had no sleep last night. A constant repeat of the nightmare made me wonder if Chris really was ok.